• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

4 fountain pens

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi Pen Friends

The reason I got into making fountain pens was because I stumbled across a picture of some custom pens that absolutely blew me away. I remember thinking, “I have to learn how to make those.” It was a moment of real inspiration. I’d been buying kits and blanks from Phil Dart for a while, so I sent him the photo. He explained this was a “kitless pen” and, to my surprise, he kindly spent an hour and a half on the phone with me, walking me through the process, the tools involved, and some key tips. I’m sure I wasn’t the first (and definitely not the last) to ask for help, which probably led him to writing the excellent tutorial that’s now freely available on the Beaufort Ink website.

That’s where it all began for me. That image of those pens stuck with me—I wanted to reach the point where I could consistently make pens to a high standard. Getting everything just right—length, diameter, taper, etc.—turned out to be trickier than I initially thought. At least for me!

Recently, I made four pens in a single batch, something I don’t often do. So I decided to test just how uniform they were by panning a camera over them with a backlight, watching how the light reflected across each pen and checking if it moved consistently across all four. The results are in the attached video (I hope it’s uploaded ok!)..

It’s rare for me to step back and really assess my own work like this, but I have to say, it made me smile. For a brief moment, I thought, “Yes, I’ve actually achieved what I set out to do.” That’s not a feeling I’ve had often in my life.

Cheers
Ash
View attachment IMG_6212.mov

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Ash, I have admired every pen that you have made, from the first one until now....even the acrylic ones!!!
I agree with everything you say about Phil. He's a top man.( hope he's not listening )

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I agree with Alan above, your pens are a great source of inspiration and your colour pairing is brilliant.
Yes, Phil always has time for turners it's what I think sets him apart from others, that and high quality kits:thumbs:

Mwathen

First Name
Mark
Lovely pens, I would be proud too to have made them, well done 👍👍.
Seeing pens like this and others on here is something to aspire to.
Another thumbs up for Phil. I had a problem with something I bought and he phoned me up about it, and very kindly sorted it out. Never had that from a shop before, really impressed by that.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
I would be very pleased if I had something like that in my arsenal to sell. But way above my level as I haven't even tried a fountain pen as yet......
Very impressive...... :praying: