• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cocobolo Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi pen friends.

A couple of weeks ago there was an interesting post by @flexi (i think) where he asked about our favourite woods.

Even though I responded with a list of mine it turns out that my favourite wood is, in fact, whatever wood I used most recently.

So here it is. Cocobolo. Definitely my favourite wood. (Until the next one)…

Cheers
Ash

IMG_4818.jpegIMG_4821.jpegIMG_4824.jpegIMG_4833.jpegIMG_4812.jpegIMG_4815.jpeg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi Ash,
It was me who started that thread and I too thought it very interesting....as always that's another rather nice pen, your ability to pick complementary accents is brilliant and that combo is spot on...
I think it's time I try to up my game and try kitless....please can you point me in the direction of where to get the inserts made ( your splat) everything else I think is possible from Phil?

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi Ash,
It was me who started that thread and I too thought it very interesting....as always that's another rather nice pen, your ability to pick complementary accents is brilliant and that combo is spot on...
I think it's time I try to up my game and try kitless....please can you point me in the direction of where to get the inserts made ( your splat) everything else I think is possible from Phil?
Thanks Mark.

If you do decide to go down the custom route then I don’t think you’ll regret it. It’s will probably consume your every waking thought for a while though!

Yes Phil has all the stuff you need to get going, no doubt you’ve seen the tutorial he put together and I think that is as comprehensive as it can be.

As for the coin inserts they are made by a company to my own design. Just to warn you it is a bit of an up-front outlay as you have to pay for the mould to be made. I use different companies for sterling silver and enamel. The mould for the sterling silver version cost around £100 and the moulds for the enamel are £50 each and that’s before a single coin is made from them. Then there is a minimum quantity you have to order, or it gets very expensive. Not trying to put you off but something to think about. I have used a few different companies and more than happy to give you the details.

Anyway if you decide to go ahead with the custom pen making then I’ll help as best I can!

Cheers
Ash

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Cocobolo would be up there too ( as long as it doesnt crack!)
Nicely made pen, Ash. Colours all matching well.
Are you now in your 'Wooden Period'?
Here's hoping.
Thanks Alan.

Definitely in a bit of a wood phase again at the moment. Been looking at some of the more exotic stuff but haven’t quite bit the bullet yet. Doing a bit of simple segmenting is part of my thinking too. So let’s see if I can out my ideas into practice!

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
That is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING !

Flowing lines, vibrant colours , the little accents and you haven5 made it look like plastic by grain filling with loads of CA

must be my favourite wood one ( so far ) of yours Ash.
🙏