• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Exhausted and a sore back

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Started at 11.00 and just in at 5.00, and as the heading says absolutely knackered but think it was worth it. Finished two Aquilo , one Headwind and one Solano. So after 7 months I think it was worth it.......

Tom

Attachments

• 20240725_171519.jpg
    20240725_171519.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240725_171342.jpg
    20240725_171342.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Very nice job mate, love the green/blue Aquilo...
If your back hurts, check your lathe height you should be comfortable when turning....
Now to get these sold and onto the next ones :dancer:

WIFAG

First Name
PAUL
Started at 11.00 and just in at 5.00, and as the heading says absolutely knackered but think it was worth it. Finished two Aquilo , one Headwind and one Solano. So after 7 months I think it was worth it.......

Tom
Hi Tom, I love your pens, what was the green/blue blank you used?
I have been looking for something like it with no success .
Cheers,
Paul

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Hi Tom, I love your pens, what was the green/blue blank you used?
I have been looking for something like it with no success .
Cheers,
Paul
Paul
I am not sure bought a few blanks from this site but have been buying locally from a source that sells Chesnut blanks .I have their chart as there are certain ones that I like but not so much some of the others. All the pens shown I didn't paint the tubes but apart from one tube didn't show through....
Tom

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Nice pens Tom. Lovely kits hope the back is on the mend till next time we’ll done
Think with seven months off that I done to many
and that played a part in having a sore back.
Apart from turning to round I sand from 80mesh to 1200mesh wet sandpaper then 1500 to 12000micro mesh pads. After that 2coats of 3 polishes and 2coats of carnaubra wax.......
Think I just took to much out of myself in one day

Tom

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Very nice work Tom.
As Mark said, if your back hurts then it could be the Lathe Height is not correct (been there done that).
Once I adjusted the height of mine, I was stood at it for 7 hours :noway1:
No back ache though :phew:

So nice to see you back turning again though Tom, long may it last :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Very nice work Tom.
As Mark said, if your back hurts then it could be the Lathe Height is not correct (been there done that).
Once I adjusted the height of mine, I was stood at it for 7 hours :noway1:
No back ache though :phew:

So nice to see you back turning again though Tom, long may it last :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
I have my lathe set that the centre is roughly just between my abdomen and rib cage....
What should it roughly be......

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Nice to be back turning again... I have 4 jetstream pens but no blanks cut, so will have to wait till next week to do that. Same goes for 6 Notus pens. I think that I might have a couple of European pen blanks cut. However it's one kit that I don't really like turning. I think that I bought about 8 when first starting out. Think I made two and put tubes in the wrong way I.e. long tube in the short blank etc on two others. Because of the tenon I always broke the kit down to turning each section separately...
Still don't know if I will do them, or wait till I get tubes cut for the other kits and finish them off before I re-order a selection of some of the the other kits.......
Tom