• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help for sourcing pen kit barrels

Sarnian Den

Apprentice Member
First Name
Dennis
Hi, sorry about this but I have recently had real bad luck with several blanks shattering! I can only assume that it was due to my handling of my tools but now I need to locate a company that can supply replacement barrels. I did contact the company who supplied the kit but they have stopped holding replacement parts! Any suggestions will be appreciated
Dennis Wherry

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi, sorry about this but I have recently had real bad luck with several blanks shattering! I can only assume that it was due to my handling of my tools but now I need to locate a company that can supply replacement barrels. I did contact the company who supplied the kit but they have stopped holding replacement parts! Any suggestions will be appreciated
Dennis Wherry
Axminster tools, Beaufort ink,Taylors Mirfield and Penkitzandbitz all supply spare tubes as do some eBay suppliers....you will need to measure your tubes with a vernier gauge and buy accordingly, over long tubes are easy cut down...:bwink:

Eloquin

First Name
Duncan
When I have had failures, usually of resin, I can usually turn the remaining pieces off. It goes without saying that this causes sharp flying debris and all safety measures to contain that debris and protect yourself and anyone else who may walk into the area must be taken. If this would cause you concern then purchasing new brass tubes is certainly the safest way to proceed.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
If you soak for a few days in Acetone then CA just turns to goo and can be safely scraped off the brass tubes but Axminster, etc all sell spare tubes but you do need to check diameters and lengths carefully

Gert Fitcher

First Name
phil
Hi, sorry about this but I have recently had real bad luck with several blanks shattering! I can only assume that it was due to my handling of my tools ...
I assume you turn inwards from the ends until the blank is round? The ends can break out easily if you turn outwards over the ends, acrylic being the worst to me (sorry, if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.)