• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I have a question about clips.

Vanagas Pen

Apprentice Member
First Name
Burak
Hey all... I have been making pens for 3 years but nowadays I started to make kitless pens. But I have many questions for that. I am really sorry if I open an opened topic before.

Starting with my first question.

I want to learn how some pens add their clips to a line hole without a ring... I mean most pens have a clip which has a circle near the top, but some of pen turners use that type clip. There is a line hole in the cap (-) like this, and the clip comes from that line. I will add a link to expain better. Is there anyone to explain this work? Thank you...

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
On some pens the clip is made attached to a ring that is held in place by the finial, that ring can be seen on some or is hidden by making a reses in the top of the cap with the ring being smaller than the caps diameter. On the pens with no finial the clip design is different and it just goes through a slot cut in the cap and is retained by a screw inside the cap.

Hope this makes sense šŸ˜‰

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
The slit is cut probably using a vertical mill or some other precise tooling. As Paul says the clip is held in place by a screw inside the cap.

This is an example of how that clip might look. The horizontal bar has a small hole to allow the screw to pass through.

(This isnā€™t my photo, nor my hand for that matter).

Cheers
Ash

72AB9C37-E37B-4E91-91F3-AFBB763C9741.jpeg

Vanagas Pen

Apprentice Member
First Name
Burak
The slit is cut probably using a vertical mill or some other precise tooling. As Paul says the clip is held in place by a screw inside the cap.

This is an example of how that clip might look. The horizontal bar has a small hole to allow the screw to pass through.

(This isnā€™t my photo, nor my hand for that matter).

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 52774
You are always helpful Ash, thank you. Yes I mean it... I think this may help me Now all I need to open a line hole :)))

I have many many questions about kitless pens but I am asking one by one :)