• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Inexperienced pen turner.

Caoimhoo

First Name
Kevin
Hello all.
I’m new to pen turning and have had various degrees of hit and miss. It is addictive indeed and really enjoying the challenge.
Looking forward to browsing through the topics on here for some insight and ideas.
Kevin

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Hi Kevin

Welcome to the Money Pit.... Sorry "World Of Turning" :rolling:
Your right VERY Addictive and this is what I like to call "Our Support Group" :thumbs::funny::funny::funny:
Look forward to seeing your creations and PLEASE don't hesitate to ask questions, we all started out knowing nothing and without asking we never learn (Mind I still know nothing :whistling:)

Caoimhoo

First Name
Kevin
I have questions about bushings and pen kits l bought on the Bay but appear to be from the States. Identifying them is an issue as they aren’t all marked but I imagine the questions should be asked on the appropriate thread. I’ll post some pics of the pens l made.
It certainly is an expensive hobby !!
Kevin

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have questions about bushings and pen kits l bought on the Bay but appear to be from the States. Identifying them is an issue as they aren’t all marked but I imagine the questions should be asked on the appropriate thread. I’ll post some pics of the pens l made.
It certainly is an expensive hobby !!
Kevin
Hello and welcome I shouldn't send you off to another site as we're a really friendly bunch of people....but the International association of Penturners or IAP have a bushing chart with all dimensions on it....it will take time to sort through.
Personally I only buy bush's when I buy kits complete...some are interchangeable but more often than not...a good pair of vernier callipers will be a great investment or cone bushes( but that's a whole different story) :thumbs: :thumbs:

Caoimhoo

First Name
Kevin
Hello and welcome I shouldn't send you off to another site as we're a really friendly bunch of people....but the International association of Penturners or IAP have a bushing chart with all dimensions on it....it will take time to sort through.
Personally I only buy bush's when I buy kits complete...some are interchangeable but more often than not...a good pair of vernier callipers will be a great investment or cone bushes( but that's a whole different story) :thumbs: :thumbs:
Thanks l will check it out. Living and learning 😄

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
We are all learning, some quicker than others...
when you stop learning , you’re dead…..

Vernier calipers are very handy although I do like the dial version rather than the digital but that’s cos I’ve an older dual scale pair , sadly no longer available 🥹

Digital ones from aldi or lidl allow you to convert instantly which can be handy at times

Oops nearly forgot my manners welcome along and enjoy the experience Kevin.

I especially recommend looking at the work of Alan and Ash for advanced inspiration but there are many , many others equally friendly and inspiring on here .

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome.

To expand on flexi's suggestion of the bushing chart. They also made an app you can download for a buck or so that makes searches a lot easier. Look in the App Store for IAP Bushings & Tubes Reference.

Pete

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Welcome to the family.
It’s a fallacy that pen turning is addictive. I’ve been turning pens for over 20 Years and I’m not addicted.😁