• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Jesmonite pens

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Not seen it or used it for pens, but cast a few coasters with it...what did it turn like? Was it a bit friable?...
Nice colours in those BTW!

Eloquin

First Name
Duncan
Surprisingly it actually turns quite nicely. I am sure it blunts tools faster than wood or resin and you get mainly dust rather than ribbons. You do need to take it fairly slow as if you get a catch that instantly becomes a rapid unscheduled disassembly! Make sure you wear enough protection as well as you can guarantee some ends up in your face.
The only other thing I had to do was light dry sanding then seal the whole thing with CA glue and finish with wet sanding. If water gets past the CA, it starts to dissolve the Jesmonite.

Here are a few others I did with a more marble feel.
PXL_20240710_195434826.jpg