• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lathe lamp

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
I need your help. My very cheap Ikea lamp that I’ve had on top of my lathe for a few years finally gave up on me yesterday and I need a replacement. It was never perfect but it did the job. Sort of.

So your advice on a replacement please. What are you using?

I’m open to ideas but ideally it needs to be mains connected (not rechargeable) with a bendy swan neck so I can reposition the head as I need to. I’d prefer a solid flat base, rather than one you clip to something or a magnetic one but that’s not a deal breaker. I just want something that provides a good source of light.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Ash

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Ash, I know you said not rechargeable but I have/use two GloForce lamps - I bought one years ago and another last year at Harrogate. I bought the extra one so I had two but also to ensure worst case one was always fully charged, where I have them mainly located (although I have some metal discs dotted around my workshop under shelves) I also have sockets with USB ports so can plug the charger cable in and still use as well.

Just a thought.....

Padster

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
I have the same as most, Charnwood ML28 LED work light and bendy shaft. That's on my small lathe and on my big lathe I have a old workshop lamp.
Like the Ikea TERTIAL Work lamp, dark grey. £10, but I would put in a LED lamp.
Kelvin

Nicholas Andrews

First Name
Nicholas
I need your help. My very cheap Ikea lamp that I’ve had on top of my lathe for a few years finally gave up on me yesterday and I need a replacement. It was never perfect but it did the job. Sort of.

I’m open to ideas but ideally it needs to be mains connected (not rechargeable) with a bendy swan neck so I can reposition the head as I need to. I’d prefer a solid flat base, rather than one you clip to something or a magnetic one but that’s not a deal breaker. I just want something that provides a good source of light.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Ash
Sensible replies already to your post, but with increasing age often comes decreasing eyesight and for fine work such as pen turning I am also using an LED head torch. The professional ones (such as those sold for dentistry) are not cheap but are excellent at highlighting small pieces. And then, of course, another requirement of advancing years is magnification...................!

His Nibs

First Name
Richard
I highly recommend this from Axminster Tools, (cannot insert a link for some reason so here is the part number: 101386 ) Not cheap but has variable brightness from dim to very very bright and as the name says it stays where you put it. You can just about see it in my avatar.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I’m still using the IKEA LED light I mounted to a magnetic base on my lathe. Given how good it’s been for £9.95 there’s no way I’d spend more than £25 on a light unless it’s exceptionally good in some way. If mine stops working I’ll get one of these to replace it.

IMG_1774.jpeg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Thank you to all for your responses. I did look at all the suggestions in detail, did some research, and now I have 12 different new lamps 😂

Actually I did have a bit of analysis paralysis but in the end went for the Charnwood model but I will need to upgrade the lamp over my bench at some point. So I will bookmark this for future reference.

Cheers
Ash

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I’m a bit late on parade for this one but this is mine
IMG_20240815_181210975.jpeg
Woody gave it me quite few years ago he’d bought 10 direct from China & said they only cost a £1 each, all I can say is it has been excellent & is still going strong all these years later.

David M

First Name
David

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Ash
I have an adjustable lamp similar to this:- search: "TERTIAL Work lamp, dark grey" on the IKEA website. It's mounted on the wall behind the lathe. Handy as it can be moved to expose whatever part of the workpiece or lathe you want. At only £10, I would stay with an IKEA lamp!