• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Leveraging Big Data for Enhanced Pen Turning Projects

Husena

First Name
Husena
Hello fellow pen turners,

I’ve recently been exploring how considering the importance of big data into pen turning processes can significantly enhance our craft. I wanted to share some insights and discuss how we can use big data to improve our pen turning projects.

So to me, use data to understand the properties of different woods and materials. This can help in selecting the best materials for durability, finish, and overall quality.

What do you think?

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Personally as a kit pen maker I don't use anything other than makers guidance...I am limited to the plateings on offer ie Gold, Chrome, nickel or Titanium sometimes stainless steel. As to material choice, all woods are usable, again for resins or acrylic then it's down to what's produced or cast.
Customer preferences I suppose can be a big factor, but it's always good practise to know your markets before you make anything

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Interesting post but, I suspect, this level of data analysis is a little excessive for pen turning.

Whilst the worlds of wood species and plastics is vast you will find that general rules tend to apply when assessing suitability for pen turning.

Broadly speaking Hardwood is more suitable than Softwood. Straight grain is easier to work than punky wood.

Plastics are a little different but there are still general properties that impact machinability, finish and durability. You don't need to know a great deal more than this sort of information to be successful in this hobby to be honest.

Cheers
Ash

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
I have to say I agree with Ash - There is no need, my profession is in IT and has been for over 30yrs, and in many instances it can be beneficial, automating process, removing manual error, consolidating and virtualising, data warehousing etc...
BUT I have also seen a lot of examples where it (IT) has been used, for use sake and doesn't improve or solve anything, as with all things in life just because you can doesn't mean you should....

Just my opinion of course and opinions can be wrong too ;-)

Husena

First Name
Husena
Interesting post but, I suspect, this level of data analysis is a little excessive for pen turning.

Whilst the worlds of wood species and plastics is vast you will find that general rules tend to apply when assessing suitability for pen turning.

Broadly speaking Hardwood is more suitable than Softwood. Straight grain is easier to work than punky wood.

Plastics are a little different but there are still general properties that impact machinability, finish and durability. You don't need to know a great deal more than this sort of information to be successful in this hobby to be honest.

Cheers
Ash
No, it's not like that. I was reading something about it and came across a very interesting article, which I forgot now. But I was very surprising that's I posted it here.

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
It has already been done.

Over centuries, woodworkers have accumulated knowledge about wood and handed it down through generations, adding and refining continually. To me, this is the definition of "extracting useful information from a huge number of data points."

You can find this wealth of information easily - there is an online wood database for those who don't believe it if they can't read it on a computer monitor, and there are many books available for those who like to read off-line. Two that I own are "A Guide to Useful Woods of the World" and "A Guide to More Useful Woods of the World" (both edited by James Flynn). Apparently they are not easy to locate so I am fortunate to own copies of both.

Husena

First Name
Husena
It has already been done.

Over centuries, woodworkers have accumulated knowledge about wood and handed it down through generations, adding and refining continually. To me, this is the definition of "extracting useful information from a huge number of data points."

You can find this wealth of information easily - there is an online wood database for those who don't believe it if they can't read it on a computer monitor, and there are many books available for those who like to read off-line. Two that I own are "A Guide to Useful Woods of the World" and "A Guide to More Useful Woods of the World" (both edited by James Flynn). Apparently they are not easy to locate so I am fortunate to own copies of both.
Acknowledged, the existence of comprehensive resources like the online wood database and specialized books underscores the richness of this craft. Your copies of Flynn's guides sound like true treasures, preserving invaluable insights for both seasoned woodworkers and curious enthusiasts.

Thanks

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I started to watch the video and thought that it was all an April Fool's joke!!!
It seems to be a lesson on how to take all the fun out of pen turning.
All the pens in the photograph look like they are underturned...The CNC cannot seem to get down to the bushes.
Call me old fashioned but I will stick to my lathe!!!

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
I think we may be at cross purposes.

Big Data, to me, means datasets that are too large/complex/unstructured for conventional software systems to deal with.

For example I used to be involved with implementing software for financial trading platforms where we had to deal with intra-day pricing for thousands of global financial instruments, none of which had a standard universal identifier, and process the information “real-time” for the traders to trade. It’s fair to say I attended more than my fair share of conferences where Big Data was the theme. This, sadly, is time I will never get back ☹️.

Anyway that’s what I’m thinking of when I hear the term “big data”.

The link you’ve sent is interesting, and I didn’t watch it all, but it seems to be a video of a 4th access (another word for rotary access) being used with a cnc mill to make pens.

I don’t see the connection.

Cheers
Ash

OscarHallStudios

First Name
Oscar
Software engineer and pen maker here, I concur that the two worlds are best kept separate.

I do, however, think that the communication allowed by modern technology is a truly remarkable and wonderful thing we have been given by software / data and its implementations. It is such a privelage to live in a time where I can discuss my pen passion with people from all over the globe - share knowledge, photos and kind words.

The archival of some knowledge is, in my opinion, best done digitally. Say you want to learn an ancient, foreign art or craft for which very little information exists in your own language, then technology can be a massive help and probably more useful than a book.