• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Looking advice

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Wonder if an reason for a couple of things.
Got a vacanation about 3 weeks ago. Have been down with 1. A cold since then. 2. When going to bed I seem to wake up with an itch and come out in blotches all over my arms, legs, back, neck and chest.
If I turn acrylic when sanding and finishing I usually where gloves. If I turn wood I have been told don't wear gloves. However I have finished sanding and put on gloves to put on sand and sealer, melamine etc.
Also are there certain woods to avoid as recently I have been working with Yew, Brown Ivory, laburnum Purpleheart Ash Oak and a few others. Just wondering if I could be allergic to some of them or are their particular woods to really avoid???

Regards
Tom

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Cocobolo has given me a bit of an itch from time to time.
I would always wear a good mask when working with Yew and Laburnum, but don't think that I got any skin reaction.

Take Mike's advice and see a doctor....if you are ever able to get an appointment.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Cocobolo has given me a bit of an itch from time to time.
I would always wear a good mask when working with Yew and Laburnum, but don't think that I got any skin reaction.

Take Mike's advice and see a doctor....if you are ever able to get an appointment.

I went to surgery at 8.30 and waited till seen by reception and got a appointment for that day. He advised me that it was an allergic reaction but couldn't rule out if from injection or just an allergy to something. Gave me cream and tablets like hysteme and got a good night's sleep. So will have to finish the course and see what happens.....

Martinbee

Registered
First Name
Martin
Hi Tom, the Wood Database is an excellent reference point regarding toxicity of timbers. Not everyone is effected the same by any given substance and you may never find out the cause of an allergic reaction. It may all just settle down itself, but keeping a diary of exposure to chemicals, finishes, medication or even foods etc, may help to narrow things down a bit, or even find the cause.

Hope you feel better soon.

Martin.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Hi Tom, the Wood Database is an excellent reference point regarding toxicity of timbers. Not everyone is effected the same by any given substance and you may never find out the cause of an allergic reaction. It may all just settle down itself, but keeping a diary of exposure to chemicals, finishes, medication or even foods etc, may help to narrow things down a bit, or even find the cause.

Hope you feel better soon.

Martin.
Thanks Martin so far so good...

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
Niangon gives a skin reaction and is bad for the lungs, Yew is completely poisonous except for the red of the berry (but I wouldn't eat it) Wenge splinters give rashes and they become sore. In fact most woods are not very good for the lungs. Fruit woods tend to be the safest, the others have all of their various toxicities so the wood database is the main reference.

The reason for not wearing gloves on a lathe is that if they get caught, the subsequent finger ripping is too fast for you to get away from!! Just as not wearing safety glasses tends to attract fast moving lumps of half turned wood... trust me on the latter and I now wear ordinary glasses with hardened lenses because I need varifocal glasses but they don't work properly behind safety glasses (which also interfere with my hearing aids) so I pay extra.

Vaccinations are personal, after 25 years in the military (vaccinated all over for every potential problem) the only vaccination that ever caused me a problem was tetanus which gave a very sore arm the rest have never troubled me and I've had 7 covid jabs!!

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Likewise my wood database is a must, before any wood is turned. I've had a reaction to Yew, Bocote, Wenge and a Burmese teak. I use a full air respirator now and use a barrier cream on my hands. It does work, but the down side is the dust collects on your hands. I do not, ever, use gloves, I need all my fingers.
Kelvin