• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Making the transition from electrics to wood - What have I done?

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Hi, Introducing myself as another wannabee wood / pen turner.

Having recently retired from a lifetime in electrical / business management. I wanted to try my hand at something creative. I'm just putting my workshop back together following a building project on the house and am now looking to get started. I've made a few small items, but am quickly finding that it is not as easy as it looks on YouTube :(

As you can see my workshop is full already, but I have managed to make room for my laptop and got it connected to the TV so that I can do the online turning course from Axminster Tools.... https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtgZDeFHu5HnhYBMOGacw_NbksNknQ?e=oUUtGu

How have others learned the craft? Where do you put all of the stuff ??????

Steve P

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Steve, be very careful of the dust getting into your laptop. I killed a lovely pc, by doing exactly the same as you, in a very short space of time. Practice is the only way to learn, by mistakes you adapt your personal way and procedures.
Very nice set up of your workshop, by the way!
Kelvin

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Agree with Kelvin, Great way to kill a Laptop (I have done that :duh: )
Nice set up though, very neat, mine is more on the "Thrown Hand grenade" look :whistling:

Its a case of finding space, storage will always be in short supply.
As for turning, practice and learn as you go, I have been turning (some will tell you hacking away :lmao:) for about 15 years now and STILL learning, never had a lesson but watched a few tutorials and the amazing help from the experts in this forum have helped me no end.
Don't be shy to ask and include photos with your posts, we all love photos :thumbs:

Oh and WELCOME to the Forum Steve :beer:

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Steve, be very careful of the dust getting into your laptop. I killed a lovely pc, by doing exactly the same as you, in a very short space of time. Practice is the only way to learn, by mistakes you adapt your personal way and procedures.
Very nice set up of your workshop, by the way!
Kelvin
Thanks Kelvin,

I am careful not to leave the laptop in the workshop when I'm sanding.... Life was much 'cleaner' when I was messing around with circuits !!!

But not as much fun :winking:

SP1646

First Name
Steve

David M

First Name
David
Not wishing to discourage you, but my only advice (from a retired Mechanical Engineer) is stay safe...follow all safety rules given on the online course. Learning from mistakes is inevitable but some mistakes should be avoided at all costs.

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Not wishing to discourage you, but my only advice (from a retired Mechanical Engineer) is stay safe...follow all safety rules given on the online course. Learning from mistakes is inevitable but some mistakes should be avoided at all costs.
So true. After a life dealing with stuff that can kill you, I am horrified at some of the woodworking videos on Youtube. I can't see me ever buying a table saw. It's asking for trouble if you are not properly trained to use it.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
I agree with the two above. I am a retired engineer, (47 years on the job). Safety is a must on ALL machinery, whatever the size. But, I can remember on my first year of training, the first lesson on any machine, FIND THE BLOODY STOP BUTTON AND HOW TO USE IT, CORRECTLY!
My other inspiration, if it looks dangerous, it probably is!
Just take things steadily, don't over reach, don't take to much off to start with, get at ease with your own way and if I can just put one more idea to you, don't use a skew, until you have mastered the art of turning.
Methods with come to you with practice, only you can tell if it "feels right" just be safe and enjoy turning.
Kelvin

SP1646

First Name
Steve
I agree with the two above. I am a retired engineer, (47 years on the job). Safety is a must on ALL machinery, whatever the size. But, I can remember on my first year of training, the first lesson on any machine, FIND THE BLOODY STOP BUTTON AND HOW TO USE IT, CORRECTLY!
My other inspiration, if it looks dangerous, it probably is!
Just take things steadily, don't over reach, don't take to much off to start with, get at ease with your own way and if I can just put one more idea to you, don't use a skew, until you have mastered the art of turning.
Methods with come to you with practice, only you can tell if it "feels right" just be safe and enjoy turning.
Kelvin
If I could do a thumbs up emoji on my PC, I would :)