• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Need a little help

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
In a head scratching moment...
1. Is Taylor Milfield still going as I have sent two emails regarding bushes for pens as yet no response...
2. I have a Cigar pen kit complete with 4 bushes?
I have been informed by members that theirs is only 3 bushes. As the pen is in two parts can someone tell me the dimensions for the top and bottom half of the kit as it has brass tubes already inserted into wooden blanks.
3. I have some tubes inserted into slimline blanks. If they where the same length for say a Sirocco or Aqillo kit can I drill out the existing tubes????
:scratch_head: Tom

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Tailors Mirfield are in the middle of moving so things are probably up in the air. I'll give them a shout.

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
In a head scratching moment...
1. Is Taylor Milfield still going as I have sent two emails regarding bushes for pens as yet no response...
2. I have a Cigar pen kit complete with 4 bushes?
I have been informed by members that theirs is only 3 bushes. As the pen is in two parts can someone tell me the dimensions for the top and bottom half of the kit as it has brass tubes already inserted into wooden blanks.
3. I have some tubes inserted into slimline blanks. If they where the same length for say a Sirocco or Aqillo kit can I drill out the existing tubes????
:scratch_head: Tom
There are 4 bushes, each one a different size. Sometimes if you are using a mandrel to turn the blanks the 2 middle bushes are in one piece to assist in getting them in the right place.
You need to pay careful attention to ensure you get all 4 bushes in the right place, and I find it necessary to check that against the instructions every time.
The tubes are 1 7/8"for the upper tube and 2 1/16" for the lower tube.
the sequence is (from top to nib) .46" .53" .575" and .475 for the nib end.
Incidentally, where have all the Cigar kits gone? They are very difficult to get hold of and my supplier, Turners Retreat has stopped selling them, and other places are sold out.
Mike

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
There are 4 bushes, each one a different size. Sometimes if you are using a mandrel to turn the blanks the 2 middle bushes are in one piece to assist in getting them in the right place.
You need to pay careful attention to ensure you get all 4 bushes in the right place, and I find it necessary to check that against the instructions every time.
The tubes are 1 7/8"for the upper tube and 2 1/16" for the lower tube.
the sequence is (from top to nib) .46" .53" .575" and .475 for the nib end.
Incidentally, where have all the Cigar kits gone? They are very difficult to get hold of and my supplier, Turners Retreat has stopped selling them, and other places are sold out.
Mike
Thank for the reply will measure and see what happens...Will get back to you if unsure....
Unfortunately I don't have the instructions....
Tom