• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Notus kit

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
As stated previously I have a number of blanks for various pens prepared and squared. In the instructions for the Notus pen it says to use a block of offcut to to press click mechanism in.
I have one piece about 2cm and another about 3.5cm. Firstly which one would be the best option and what size of hole should be drilled???

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Oops...must read instructions more, not done that yet. I have made a few and they all went together with the ease I have come to expect from Phil....
I use an axminster pen press and go lightly ìt has a nylon head with a hole in it maybe that's what has helped?? :thinks:
As stated previously I have a number of blanks for various pens prepared and squared. In the instructions for the Notus pen it says to use a block of offcut to to press click mechanism in.
I have one piece about 2cm and another about 3.5cm. Firstly which one would be the best option and what size of hole should be drilled???

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Oops...must read instructions more, not done that yet. I have made a few and they all went together with the ease I have come to expect from Phil....
I use an axminster pen press and go lightly ìt has a nylon head with a hole in it maybe that's what has helped?? :thinks:
I don't have a pen press and use a vice to assemble my pens. So I need to be careful when assembling......

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Tom, you can carefully unscrew the top so there is no pressure (it's in Phil's instructions), although like @flexi I use an Axminster pen press too!

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
From Phils instructions

“Do not put pressure from your pen press on the click button. Instead, use either of the following two methods to fit the Mechanism -
  1. Make a small block from scrap material, and drill a hole through it at the height of the centre line of your press that is wider than the click button but narrower than the finial which surrounds it - a 27/64 inch or a 10.7mm drill bit will do nicely, which many pen turners are likely to already have. Use the block as a buffer on your press - insert the click button into the hole and the pressure will be exerted on the shoulder of the finial surrounding the button, not on the button itself”.