• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Olive wood Cave Art Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Bit of a whimsical pen that I had intended to keep for myself. That is until I spotted my mistake.

First a few details. The pen is olive wood. The cap is fully lined and the barrel is partly lined using acrylic. It takes a Jowo no 6 nib and the ink is delivered via a screw-in Schmidt converter.

The barrel of the pen is engraved with cave art. Something I’ve had an interest in since I was a kid. I even considered getting a tattoo of a similar scene on my back when I was younger. But I used the money to buy the latest Smiths album instead as far as I can remember. (Either that or it went in the bookies).

Anyway I really like the way it came out. I left the cap untouched but I still may engrave a band near the opening. I haven’t decided yet as I quite like the look of the plain cap against the engraved barrel.

And the mistake I made? It’s subtle but some of the more observant may have already spotted it. I’m right handed but I’ve engraved the pen in such a way that the imagery is correctly oriented when held for writing with the left hand. It appears upside down when held in the right. Schoolboy error I know, but my wife is a leftie so she now has a new pen. 😊

Cheers
Ash

IMG_5504.jpegIMG_5484.jpegIMG_5486.jpegIMG_5489.jpegIMG_5491.jpegIMG_5478.jpegIMG_5481.jpeg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Ash your wife is a very lucky person!!
That Olive lends itself extremely well to the engraving...very nice indeed.
I would leave the cap unengraved, it may look too busy then or if you do feel the need maybe go around the pen in a band :bwink:

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Ash your wife is a very lucky person!!
That Olive lends itself extremely well to the engraving...very nice indeed.
I would leave the cap unengraved, it may look too busy then or if you do feel the need maybe go around the pen in a band :bwink:
Thanks Mark

Yes the olive wood took the engraving really well. That’s the hardest part - every material, even different wood species, can react somewhat differently so you have to do a fair bit of trial and error to get the settings dialled in. (It also helps if you do things the correct way up too 😊) .

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Bit of a whimsical pen that I had intended to keep for myself. That is until I spotted my mistake.

First a few details. The pen is olive wood. The cap is fully lined and the barrel is partly lined using acrylic. It takes a Jowo no 6 nib and the ink is delivered via a screw-in Schmidt converter.

The barrel of the pen is engraved with cave art. Something I’ve had an interest in since I was a kid. I even considered getting a tattoo of a similar scene on my back when I was younger. But I used the money to buy the latest Smiths album instead as far as I can remember. (Either that or it went in the bookies).

Anyway I really like the way it came out. I left the cap untouched but I still may engrave a band near the opening. I haven’t decided yet as I quite like the look of the plain cap against the engraved barrel.

And the mistake I made? It’s subtle but some of the more observant may have already spotted it. I’m right handed but I’ve engraved the pen in such a way that the imagery is correctly oriented when held for writing with the left hand. It appears upside down when held in the right. Schoolboy error I know, but my wife is a leftie so she now has a new pen. 😊

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 52645View attachment 52646View attachment 52647View attachment 52648View attachment 52649View attachment 52652View attachment 52650

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Very unusual concept and design Ash. Love olive wood myself and always keen to make a pen in that wood. Did you get any burning from the oil retained in the wood?
Kelvin
Yes, a bit different this one Kelvin!

The olive wood engraved really well without any issues. I did run quite a lot of tests on various woods, just using the square blanks, to see how each reacted because burning and charring around the edges was my biggest concern. I found that using the recommended engraving settings for basswood ply (which is a popular material for laser work) gave good results with almost all of them and no issues with burning. Even stabilised wood worked really well.
I have seen people cut segmented pens with lasers, often quite detailed work, and I haven’t tried cutting yet but I think the burning issue might arise then because even using the recommended settings on basswood ply often creates a small flame and charring. That’s the next thing I’ll be looking at!

Rocketman

Apprentice Member
First Name
Ray

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 52645View attachment 52646View attachment 52647View attachment 52648View attachment 52649View attachment 52652View attachment 52650
What brilliant carving. As a beginner in pens could you tell me/us what method of carving or burning you used. Love the cave art images.🤗