• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Omas Wild Celluloid Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hello pen friends.

I do sometimes use expensive materials for pen making as I don’t get out much, and turning a piece of high value celluloid is as close as I get to an extreme sport!

It’s a vintage celluloid called “Wild” that came from the OMAS pen factory when they closed down. It’s been on my shelf for a while but decided to make one as my keeper pen for 2024.

The barrel and cap are both fully lined. I did this to reinforce the celluloid and also to make the threading a little cleaner. Threading celluloid or cellulose can create a slightly “grippy” thread.

I’ve used a steel bock 6 nib and will swap this out for a titanium flex version when I can find where I’ve put it.

The finials and section are black and red acrylic. I’ve avoided using silver or gold coloured metals to give me options in the nib colour. However they are removable so could swap them for alternatives if I wanted to. I’ve also domed the finials which I don’t do very often.

Comments and questions are welcomed.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_3887.jpegIMG_3893.jpegIMG_3897.jpegIMG_3904.jpegIMG_3881.jpegIMG_3883.jpeg

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Gorgeous pen, Ash. I love vintage materials - I have some Omas Bleu Royale that I simply ogled for a couple of years before starting work. I make a little progress then set it aside to draw the process out as long as possible!

(Also - you've given me the idea that once a year I should make a pen intending to keep it for myself. Thanks, I think I'll do that.)

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Gorgeous pen, Ash. I love vintage materials - I have some Omas Bleu Royale that I simply ogled for a couple of years before starting work. I make a little progress then set it aside to draw the process out as long as possible!

(Also - you've given me the idea that once a year I should make a pen intending to keep it for myself. Thanks, I think I'll do that.)
Cheers Duncan

I’m with you on the vintage stuff and when you do get around to making the OMAS pen please share some pics, I’d love to see it.

I showed this pen on Facebook and mentioned that, even though I’m fairly experienced at making pens, there’s always a bit more hesitation when it comes to the top end materials, especially the rare stuff.

A Swedish lady replied and said there was a word for this in her native tongue - Klippångest. The literal translation is “clip anxiety” or “fear of cutting” which relates to the anxiety a person feels when making a decision about whether to cut something important or precious (often hair or textiles). 😊

I loved the fact there was a word for it!

Cheers
Ash

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
There's a similar word in Norwegian - klippeangst. I lived there for six years, had great fun making up my own words when I didn't know the real ones!