• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Royal Brown Oak

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Two weeks ago, I made a chrome Mistral rollerball pen for a customer. He specified a CA finish to the body and the customer is always right with this type of wood.
So the finished pen he received.
Kelvin

Attachments

• Rhodium Mawredd rollerball pen in Royal Brown Oak pic 2.jpg
    Rhodium Mawredd rollerball pen in Royal Brown Oak pic 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • Rhodium Mawredd rollerball pen in Royal Brown Oak pic 3.jpg
    Rhodium Mawredd rollerball pen in Royal Brown Oak pic 3.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • Rhodium Mawredd rollerball pen in Royal Brown Oak.jpg
    Rhodium Mawredd rollerball pen in Royal Brown Oak.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Lovely, Kelvin.
Really lovely rich colour on the timber.
I had to look 'Brown Oak' up as I thought that it must be a different species from the ordinary paler oak that we see.
Now I realise that it is the same species but the deep colour is due to fungus activity.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Alan,
This wood came from the grounds of Windsor Great Park in Berkshire, England. This 900 year old oak tree was sadly blown down by a storm in December 2013. This particular tree showed a very slow growth rate with a 4cm section of wood showing 115 years of growth.
It's a fab wood to turn, but it's grain can be as hard as nails or soft aa a rice pudding. The number of CA coats on this pen was 12 coats. The depth is as you see brilliant.
Kelvin.