• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Slab of Corian

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Was at a Customers site yesterday and had one of my pens with me (Black Corian with Gun Metal Fittings) and the client spotted it.
He asked to have a look and I explained about the hobby (money pit) of Pen Making, he loved the pen and asked if I could make him a couple, told him a price and he STILL wants a couple :noway1:

Then had to explain that I didn't have any Corian left (from the small amount I was given by a kitchen fitter friend), NOT a problem he says and walks off...
Comes back with this......

2024-07-19 09.04.25.jpg 25mm Thick by 600mm x 400mm
Then says... Is THAT Enough :thumbs::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

So a few Corian Pens to be made - Thinking Headwind, in Silver / Gunmetal & Black (he wants 3)
Thats my job for today then :thumbs:
He also added they get loads of offcuts back and normally throw them in the skip, all sorts of colours as well, now he knows what I can do with it, he has said he will keep ALL of the offcuts and let me have them, so once I get a pile I will offer to Forum Members for Postage cost ONLY, I will cut them into blank sizes and post pictures in the For Sale Section once I get them.....

Eloquin

First Name
Duncan
That was amazing luck! I was tempted to see if I can find any kitchen fitters near me that do Corian worktops but havent got round to it yet. I was told there are some and that they do just bin the offcuts :shocking:

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
That was amazing luck! I was tempted to see if I can find any kitchen fitters near me that do Corian worktops but havent got round to it yet. I was told there are some and that they do just bin the offcuts :shocking:
I suppose its just not worth the effort in keeping them Duncan.
Hopefully they don't find out about us Turners that use it :whistling:

David M

First Name
David
Beautiful. As a relative novice, I was not aware that you can turn Corian for pens...sorry to display my ignorance. I use tungsten carbide tipped tools so would they turn Corian successfully or not? If so, I would appreciate receiving some when you're ready...very happy to pay postage ++.

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Beautiful. As a relative novice, I was not aware that you can turn Corian for pens...sorry to display my ignorance. I use tungsten carbide tipped tools so would they turn Corian successfully or not? If so, I would appreciate receiving some when you're ready...very happy to pay postage ++.
Perfect tools there David, its what I use.
Sharp and steady and not to hard with the pressure and you will be fine.
PM me your details and I will get a couple in the post, let you know postage cost when they have been sent :thumbs:

A13GNR

Was at a Customers site yesterday and had one of my pens with me (Black Corian with Gun Metal Fittings) and the client spotted it.
He asked to have a look and I explained about the hobby (money pit) of Pen Making, he loved the pen and asked if I could make him a couple, told him a price and he STILL wants a couple :noway1:

Then had to explain that I didn't have any Corian left (from the small amount I was given by a kitchen fitter friend), NOT a problem he says and walks off...
Comes back with this......

View attachment 52446 25mm Thick by 600mm x 400mm
Then says... Is THAT Enough :thumbs::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

So a few Corian Pens to be made - Thinking Headwind, in Silver / Gunmetal & Black (he wants 3)
Thats my job for today then :thumbs:
He also added they get loads of offcuts back and normally throw them in the skip, all sorts of colours as well, now he knows what I can do with it, he has said he will keep ALL of the offcuts and let me have them, so once I get a pile I will offer to Forum Members for Postage cost ONLY, I will cut them into blank sizes and post pictures in the For Sale Section once I get them.....
I just love Corian…it’s a dream to turn once your used to it…always wear a good mask as it’s quite toxic…enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_9344.jpeg
    IMG_9344.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 8

dixter

Apprentice Member
First Name
Richard
I just love Corian…it’s a dream to turn once your used to it…always wear a good mask as it’s quite toxic…enjoy

Good-looking pens, show your talent and skills very well.

Corian is a good substance for pens. I have made a few in the past from leftover countertops using carbide tools.

I need to source more in, I just haven't done it yet.

Keep up the good work!