• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Spalted Beech

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi All,
Where has all the spalted Beech gone?
It used to be in abundance, I was asked for this lowly Sirocco and struggled to find any decent spalting....

Attachments

• 20240615_082003.jpg
    20240615_082003.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240615_082028.jpg
    20240615_082028.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 12

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Very nice Mark. Lovely finish as always.

There’s a gap in the market there. No doubt you’re rolling logs of beech around your garden as we speak! 😊

Adal6

First Name
Alan
Mark lovely pens. I made some Masonic pens a few weeks ago and had to buy around nine blanks of spalted beech to get two with good grain To make the pens. if I make pens with the blanks I have left. no one seems to what them with hardly no grain

Phildarv

Apprentice Member
First Name
Phillip
Most of the spalted Beech used to originate from Stiles & Bates and Snainton - both now closed.

They used to get standard Beech and leave it in the grass for a few years to spalt