• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Trying my hand at designing/making a pen

akosky

Apprentice Member
First Name
Anthony
Hi All,

I was looking around for information on making pens, and found this site.

I'm a hobby machinist and also enjoy writing with fountain pens, so I decided to try to make my own. I wanted a fairly compact pen but with a size 6 nib. Also I wanted a push on lid, rather than screw, but with a good click and airtight seal.

I just finished a second prototype. I put an extra o-ring in the cap which sits against the collar around the nib housing, and also put three spring-loaded ball bearings in the cap to give it a click. (The brass ring doubles as a spring). It's still not exactly right but getting close to what I want.

(Can't get the image upload to work so these are some links)

http://anthonykosky.org/pens/pen1.jpg
http://anthonykosky.org/pens/pen2.jpg

-Anthony

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
Hello Anthony and welcome to the forum. I see your from Berkeley CA.

Nice looking pen and congratulations on designing and making it.

The rules of the forum say you need to post about three times before you are able to upload any photos.

Dave
Ps. You can also show your pens on the IAP site penturners.org on your side of the waterđź‘Ť..

Last edited:

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Anthony, your turning of metal is very impressive. I was an engineer for some 45 years, so most aspects of mechanical engineering comes in second nature. I see that a lot of thought went into your design. Will done mate, very nice!
Kelvin

akosky

Apprentice Member
First Name
Anthony
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the feedback!

I'm hoping to make some more, and maybe try out some different materials like ebonite or resin. I'm looking forward to being able to ask questions and get advice.

-Anthony