• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Using petrol generator for vs lathe

MikeO

First Name
Michael
Has anyone used a generator for instance at a fair or show with a variable speed lathe, they say there can be problems.
Anyone have any recommendations as I am going to a show and have to provide my own power.
Thanks Mike

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Has anyone used a generator for instance at a fair or show with a variable speed lathe, they say there can be problems.
Anyone have any recommendations as I am going to a show and have to provide my own power.
Thanks Mike
Hi Mike

I do and have done often, I have a little genny that pushes out plenty of power for the lathe and never had an issue, ONLY thing I would strongly recommend is getting yourself some clear Perspex (Thickish stuff) to build a screen in front of the Lathe, had one incident were someone tried to point at the blank while I was turning, nearly had his flippin finger chopped off :eeeeek:
I don't have any photos of the set up I have - never thought to take any :duh:
As for issues with power, just make sure your generator is powerful enough for the lathe

Duncan A

Apprentice Member
First Name
Duncan
Due to the sensitive electronics in the lathe inverter, you're safer using a generator with a "clean" sinusoidal output - no harmonics or jaggies.

Most modern inverter generators promise a clean output.
Duncan

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
As Duncan said as some of the cheaper and site type generators can produce what we use to call dirty electricity. It is not advisable

monophoto

First Name
Louie
The other factor is the size of the generator vs the rating of the lathe - kw, horsepower, or whatever units you use. The closer the lathe power demand is to the rating of the generator, the greater are the risks of some kind of problem. If the generator is significantly larger than the lathe, I would expect the combination to work just fine.

By the way, Colin's suggestion about putting a plastic shield in front of the lathe is very good. I don't think I have ever seen a demo setup here in the US that doesn't have a plastic shield. We have entirely too many tort lawyers who make their living exploiting accidents.

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Can't add to the generator side of the discussion but I suggest you do not use Perspex or any of the acylic family. It can shatter if hit hard enough. The proper plastic to use is Polycarbonate. The brand name here is Lexan. It is what industry uses for shields around machines and is the plastic face shields use to protect your peepers.

Pete

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Can't add to the generator side of the discussion but I suggest you do not use Perspex or any of the acylic family. It can shatter if hit hard enough. The proper plastic to use is Polycarbonate. The brand name here is Lexan. It is what industry uses for shields around machines and is the plastic face shields use to protect your peepers.

Pete
Got mine from here (Acrylic)

This site