• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Well Hello everyone

TheOldMan

Apprentice Member
First Name
Alan
Hi I started pen turning about 8 months ago. I fell in love with the colours I found with Acrylic blanks
I am just about to turn my first wood pen after making about 20 or more acrylic pens.
I have recently seen stabilized wood pens.
Does everyone Use CA glue to finish wood pens ?
I am told Beeswax does not last. Is that true?
There is no such thing as a cheap hobby. But it is fun isn't it.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Welcome to the forum.....
Wood is a whole different ball game to acrylic....
Stabilised wood is just softer wood filled with resin to enable it to be turned....

No, I use melamine laquer as a finish( check out the files section for a how to)

Yes, as pens get handled a LOT and beeswax is only a surface coating it's not a durable finish

I think wood can be great fun to turn, as you peel back the layers, you never quite know what your going to get....some really plane blanks have revealed stunning grain when turned down, likewise some really promising grained blanks have disappointed and some have just cracked, shattered or split....

Yes it's great fun:dancer:

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Another Alan....welcome.

I generally only turn timber.......you have plenty of excellent hard woods in Oz none of which need to be stabiised.
There are many good finishes....I also use melamine lacquer, like Mark, as well as buffing with Tripoli and White Diamond.
There is an Aussie company that produces some very good products for turned finishes including pens.
The company is called U-beaut.
If you know another pen maker they should be able to point you to the best product.

I don't generally use CA as a finish as I prefer my pens to remain tactile rather than be covered with a shiny plastic coating, but to each their own.

I have been to Brisbane a number of times. My sister lives in Elanora...I lived in Orange NSW for 12 years.
Alan

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
It may pay to ask the same question on this SITE, as they will know what products are available in your neck of the woods. But don't forget to post some of your work here

Eloquin

First Name
Duncan
Welcome in!
I personally do use CA for most of my pens currently. I did try wax and oil and I didnt like the results. I havent tried melamine yet or any other finishes but only due to not yet getting round to it.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Welcome to the forum hopefully you will enjoy the craic. I started the opposite io yourself with wood pens had over a hundred different variations before I changed over to acrylic blanks.. I started to use friction polish but changed to Melamine Laquer and prefer it now.
Seems a few of us have Australia in common as my cousin on my mother's side moved to Brisbane a few years back. But have seven other cousins who moved in the 1960s and live in Warrenbool. .. Its a small World.....