• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Advice Please

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Hi all, after some advice on this one.

I was asked if I could make some shelf units, something special (x2) for display purposes, they were to go on the cake table at a wedding.
They gave a specific details on what they wanted and I made them to the best of my abilities.

I “quoted” £35 each and that was accepted.
Explained that price was dependent on cost of materials (primer / paint etc)
Made them, took much longer than I thought they would and materials cost more as well.
Though I thoroughly enjoyed making them, I decided to charge materials only at £80 / £10 more than my estimate.

Had the client ranting down the phone yesterday saying I was trying to rip her off 😳😳😳

They are 600mm wide x 500mm deep made from 9mm ply, the purple was “specified” Ral Colour to match the wedding decor.
How much would you charge.

Took me 4 days with all of the primer, paint etc. 🫣

Attachments

• IMG_3364.jpeg
    IMG_3364.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3367.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3369.jpeg
    IMG_3369.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3365.jpeg
    IMG_3365.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
I think if you quoted and any caveats are not in writing you are stuck with the quote
(Retired solicitor so not able to give “legal advice “ because no practicing certificate)
So I am just offering my own opinion
Mike

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
I think if you quoted and any caveats are not in writing you are stuck with the quote
(Retired solicitor so not able to give “legal advice “ because no practicing certificate)
So I am just offering my own opinion
Mike
Yes, but it was made very clear that it was dependent on materials costs Mike.
It was an extra £10 if she had been more reasonable (rather going off on a rant and swearing down the phone) I would more than likely offered them AT the £70
Oh well another life lesson learnt.... Just don't bother in future :scratch_head:

David M

First Name
David
Hi all, after some advice on this one.

I was asked if I could make some shelf units, something special (x2) for display purposes, they were to go on the cake table at a wedding.
They gave a specific details on what they wanted and I made them to the best of my abilities.

I “quoted” £35 each and that was accepted.
Explained that price was dependent on cost of materials (primer / paint etc)
Made them, took much longer than I thought they would and materials cost more as well.
Though I thoroughly enjoyed making them, I decided to charge materials only at £80 / £10 more than my estimate.

Had the client ranting down the phone yesterday saying I was trying to rip her off 😳😳😳

They are 600mm wide x 500mm deep made from 9mm ply, the purple was “specified” Ral Colour to match the wedding decor.
How much would you charge.

Took me 4 days with all of the primer, paint etc. 🫣
They look amazing for £80. Considering what they will be spending on a wedding that even needs a special purple cake table, they can afford to at least cover your cost and pay the extra £10. So tell them you have not charged for your time, they have got a bargain, apologise for the over-spend, wish them an enjoyable day and offer sympathies to the husband-to-be.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Unless the law has changed which wouldn't surprise me if it has.
From the days when I had a business I would never ever give a quote on a job that involved manual labour.
A quote is legally binding, an estimate is adaptable.
Now I am not in business if it had been me in this situation let her take them (with a proviso that they remain my property until paid for in full) and just as they are about to use them I would take them out to the car park and set fire to my property.

Last edited:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
As a practising carpenter I always charge 10% extra be it time or materials you never can see the unforseen, that gives you that wiggle room. On that basis you would have only had a £3 increase, not even the cost of a drink....

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Thanks Guys...

it was a verbale agreement, via someone I have known for many years (Friend).
AFTER I explained to them (my friend) what happened and what the "Lady" :funny: said he then turned around and told me "Oh yes, should of warned you she does that to everyone" :goesred: Could of warned be BEFOREHAND :noman:
She thinks by demanding a lower price and telling people the work is sub-standard she will get it much cheaper.
Taught me a valuable lesson on getting it down on paper and BOTH agreeing to the price before hand. :scratch_head:

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Hope you didn't give in and still have them in your possession.

Enjoy burning them and send her some pictures of the burning.

And as said above, think yourself lucky you are not the one marrying her.

One last point, I think you grossly under quoted for the job, especially for a Wedding 😉

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Colin I know you'd be out of pocket but I would have kept her hanging on and then refused to supply them closer to the wedding. Let her find someone to make decent units of that quality and cost in a hurry, very difficult and it sounds like she needs a lesson.

When I had my business I only ever had 3 people where they didn't pay up quickly, an English accountant, Scottish senior GP and a Scottish financial advisor. All local and who I thought of as friends but when money is involved people change. :rolling: All of them came back looking for me to do other work and I refused each of them and told them why and that I had plenty of customers happy to act responsibly. I heard from other sources that they were never happy with other tradesmen.

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Well to give you an update in this stunning saga :funny:

A friend and I were talking and I mentioned them and not sure what to do with them, He asked for some pictures.
15min later I had a call from a Tattoo Artist in Poole that had seen the photos and if they are still available she would love to have them. Told her the price and she was overjoyed, she collected them yesterday :thumbs:
They are going to go in her Tattoo Parlour for displays of artwork & "Stuff" (her words) but her colour theme is Black & Purple.

She did explain that she had been looking for a while and shopfitting companies wanted £100+ for similar items (EACH) :shocking:
I told her what they cost me to make and she gave me £100 that I was VERY happy with.

Now awaiting the call to say the original buyer now wants them :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::winking: