• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Advice Please

Meisear

First Name
Tim
Hi all, after some advice on this one.

I was asked if I could make some shelf units, something special (x2) for display purposes, they were to go on the cake table at a wedding.
They gave a specific details on what they wanted and I made them to the best of my abilities.

I “quoted” £35 each and that was accepted.
Explained that price was dependent on cost of materials (primer / paint etc)
Made them, took much longer than I thought they would and materials cost more as well.
Though I thoroughly enjoyed making them, I decided to charge materials only at £80 / £10 more than my estimate.

Had the client ranting down the phone yesterday saying I was trying to rip her off 😳😳😳

They are 600mm wide x 500mm deep made from 9mm ply, the purple was “specified” Ral Colour to match the wedding decor.
How much would you charge.

Took me 4 days with all of the primer, paint etc. 🫣
If you charged for the cost of the materials which was more than your estimate I don’t see the problem. Anyone thinking they are being ripped off for a tenner probably don’t deserve to see your skills in what you made. I never do stuff for people I don’t know and anyone else I tell them a rough price.