• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Favorite wood

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi all, I was asked today "what's your favourite wood?"
Not an easy question to answer when you think about it....
I like Yew for it's colours and easy nature to turn...but then Mauser Birch with its little pips...
I love Huon pine for its fantastic smell...or maybe Oak from whisky staves?....
Do we choose grain over colour, or smells / feelings, ease of turning....so far I think I'm down to 3!

If you had to choose what would be your go to timber??

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Good question Mark, but surely everybody loves Ash? šŸ˜‰

Serious answers -
Straight grained elegance: oak
Something punky: thuya burr
Good to stain/colour: sycamore (or maple)
Best smelling: cherry
Henry Ford inspired: ebony

Cheers
Ash

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Good question Mark, but surely everybody loves Ash? šŸ˜‰

Serious answers -
Straight grained elegance: oak
Something punky: thuya burr
Good to stain/colour: sycamore (or maple)
Best smelling: cherry
Henry Ford inspired: ebony

Cheers
Ash
Nice answers....
Must try Cherry if you recon it smells nice :thinks:.....

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Olive wood would be my first choice. Mediterranean, Spanish, Italian or Maltese, for their smell.
Whisky stave wood my second, for the smell.
Thuya burr, third choice, I think it's the stabilization resin, for the smell and ease of turning.
English Yew, for the fantastic colour and patterns.
Kelvin

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Native, Elm & Olive Ash take some beating in my book, foreign any of the rosewoods particularly Bocote for pens.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Native, Elm & Olive Ash take some beating in my book, foreign any of the rosewoods particularly Bocote for pens.
Bocote is not a true rosewood but has been given the suffix to increase its commercial value, a bit like santos rosewood. Bocote would probably be fourth on my list!

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
In no particular order, my favourites are:

Honduras Rosewood burl
Cocobolo burl
Aspen burl
Olive burl is superb, but even non-burl olive is usually beautiful

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
In no particular order, my favourites are:

Honduras Rosewood burl
Cocobolo burl
Aspen burl
Olive burl is superb, but even non-burl olive is usually beautiful
Another new one...not seen Cocobolo burl, it's nice enough just plain with orange streaks and deep red!:drool:

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Haven't used any
I like Yew for it's colours and easy nature to turn...but then Mauser Birch with its little pips...
Do we choose grain over colour, or smells / feelings, ease of turning....so far I think I'm down to 3!

Haven't used any of the woods mentioned here as yet. Mostly used mahogany, beech.
However I do like the following
Zebrano
Apple
Eucalyptus
Purpleheart
All very nice to turn and not mentioned as yet......

Tom

jrista

First Name
Jon

Great answer! :) Its kind of the same thing with color for me. People ask what my favorite color is, and I simply cannot give an answer. Its all about the combinations, primary, accent, tertiary...are they complimentary or not, etc. Yellow and Cyan, Orange and Blue, great together. Black, gold and red, awesome! Gray with orange accents. I can never pick just one color! Its always about how they go together. In general, I'm a real fan of black and gold, in various combinations and often with a tertiary (usually some kind of reddish color...but not always, blue works, green can work. Purple can be excellent done right!)

Its largely the same with woods for me. I don't have just one favorite wood. I like wood in combinations. Segmented turning was what got me into wood turning in the first place (not just pens, but all turning), because of how you can combine different kinds of woods to get these amazing combinations.

A lot of what I like about a wood isn't necessarily its color or grain characteristic per-se... For me, another factor is how easy it is to turn, sand, and finish. Some woods are just an amazing pleasure to work with...others are a hateful PITA! That drives what woods I use often enough. I really love figured and burl woods, but a simple strait grain works at times as well. Again, its hard for me to think of just one wood, its all about the combinations!