• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Favorite wood

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
People ask what my favorite color is, and I simply cannot give an answer. Its all about the combinations, primary, accent, tertiary...are they complimentary or not, etc. Yellow and Cyan, Orange and Blue, great together. Black, gold and red, awesome! Gray with orange accents. I can never pick just one color! Its always about how they go together. In general, I'm a real fan of black and gold, in various combinations and often with a tertiary (usually some kind of reddish color...but not always, blue works, green can work. Purple can be excellent done right!)

Its largely the same with woods for me. I don't have just one favorite wood. I like wood in combinations. Segmented turning was what got me into wood turning in the first place (not just pens, but all turning), because of how you can combine different kinds of woods to get these amazing combinations.

A lot of what I like about a wood isn't necessarily its color or grain characteristic per-se... For me, another factor is how easy it is to turn, sand, and finish. Some woods are just an amazing pleasure to work with...others are a hateful PITA! That drives what woods I use often enough. I really love figured and burl woods, but a simple strait grain works at times as well. Again, its hard for me to think of just one wood, its all about the combinations!
I like this answer, Jon. Colour combinations very important even when choosing the colour of the plating to match the timber used.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I am going to be different, I enjoy all woods no favourite they all have their quirks and character whether it be the grain pattern or it's turning ability.
Mind you, at the moment my material is a lot harder and metallic. :whistling:
:whistling: :whistling:

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
AlthoughI agree recolour combinations, I like figured English walnut for the grain and beauty of turning. Pink Ivory and am very partial to laburnum. Yew can be fantastic though and pincones set in resin are nice n dramatic too.

Olive ash works well and Wenge is a challenge but can look fantastic if not totally grain filled , if you know what .i mean? The open grain just gives it a life

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
AlthoughI agree recolour combinations, I like figured English walnut for the grain and beauty of turning. Pink Ivory and am very partial to laburnum. Yew can be fantastic though and pincones set in resin are nice n dramatic too.

Olive ash works well and Wenge is a challenge but can look fantastic if not totally grain filled , if you know what .i mean? The open grain just gives it a life
Yes Wenge can be 'interesting ' to turn! :duh:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Yew is probably top of my list. Pink Ivory and African Blackwood are also near the top. I turned some Bocote a couple of years ago and the contrast of the grain was lovely, now it’s just two shades of brown with less contrast.

Caoimhoo

First Name
Kevin
I have so much unidentified wood which is very disappointing as l can’t tell anyone what it is for sure. I have changed tactics and am buying wood already identified.Of these the Mexican bocote turned very nicely. I have just finished a pen in cross cut Zebrano. I really like the look of it. I’ll post a picture in a bit. Also a big fan of walnut.