• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How to get a glossy finish on wooden pens?

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Hi everyone, any help appreciated..

I've attached some pics of the pens that I have made I've the last couple of months. To finish, I use a couple of coats of cellulose sanding sealer, rubbed back with 800 or 1000 grit abranet, before applying either friction polish or a wax of some kind, but my pens have a matt finish. What do others do to get the deep gloss that I see on other posts?

Attachments

• 20240325_072948.jpg
    20240325_072948.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240527_204109.jpg
    20240527_204109.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240621_180506.jpg
    20240621_180506.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240627_205545.jpg
    20240627_205545.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20240630_213213.jpg
    20240630_213213.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240901_230029.jpg
    20240901_230029.jpg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 12

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan

David M

First Name
David
I sand to about 400 grit, apply 4 or 5 coats of medium viscosity CA glue with a smooth cloth, while the lathe is on a low speed, and use accelerater spray to speed curing after each coat. Then use abrasive pads, lengthwise at first to get rid of circumferential ridges, and then all the way down to 2000 grit or finer. The ca finish is very glossy and protective against sweat etc.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I am in the Melamine camp....I think CA is a glue not a finish, that said I have and do use CA especially on polymer clay blanks..
The secret to Melamine is in the prep...I sand as fine as I can normally 800 -1000 then burnish with shavings....the better the prep the glossier the results...normally 3-5 coats as per Phils method with blue towel, then I leave overnight before a final burnish with liquid polish you don't have to but it is best to let the laquer fully harden and cure...
I have had some success with Truoil a gunstock finish, Peacock oil and also Rubio monocoat all take time to dry or let their carriers evaporate...
There are probably as many finishes as turners and infinite concoctions of secret recipes.....I have tried most!

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Another gloss finish that seems to be gathering a significant fan base with pen turners is one of the many clear gloss spray finishes.

Might be worth buying a few aerosols and giving it a try.

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Just to throw a complete spanner in the works :whistling:

WHY have a gloss finish on wood?
Wood is NOT glossy, I have never and will never coat a wooden blank in anything that gives it a glossy look, I much prefer the natural wood feel and look and with all of the pens I has made (wooden) I have never once had an issue with a "Natural Wood" pen and my customers have loved them.
The look, the feel - your holding a piece of wood NOT a piece of plastic :rolling:

As a matter of fact I use a wooden pen I made 5 years ago daily and yes the wood colour has changed slightly BUT its still a wood pen, I love writing with it and it looks great :ave_it:

Oh and Steve, your pens look great as they are, I would be VERY happy to have made those :claps: :thumbs:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark

Wood is NOT glossy, I have never and will never coat a wooden blank in anything that gives it a glossy look, I much prefer the natural wood feel and look and with all of the pens I has made (wooden) I have never once had an issue with a "Natural Wood" pen and my customers have loved them.
The look, the feel - your holding a piece of wood NOT a piece of plastic :rolling:

As a matter of fact I use a wooden pen I made 5 years ago daily and yes the wood colour has changed slightly BUT its still a wood pen, I love writing with it and it looks great :ave_it:

Oh and Steve, your pens look great as they are, I would be VERY happy to have made those :claps: :thumbs:
Try Monocoat, it leaves a nice feeling finish, sort of waxy but not...its proving quite durable too

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Steve,
I have been using CA glue for my high end finishing for years. I found that if you finish your pen with a glossy surface first, then burnish after, then clean down with meths on the surface and again burnish, your surface is correct for gluing.

I have in the pass used sanding sealer first and then polished, just using a cloth. Then applied five coats of CA glue and lightly wet sand with 12000 grit, after the five coats. Cleaned again and applied another five coats of CA glue.

Finally, going through all the polishing grits, up to 12000. Polish with a fine polish compound to a deep gloss shine.

If you use an accelerator, it will find and release gas under the surface of the coating, this will result in small white “spots” under your CA glue. I have found that your surface is cleaner if you don’t use an accelerator.

Also, the wood itself can be a problem. Some very hard woods, don’t keep the glue on very well, even if sealing is not used. I found that oak, some mahogany, Thuyr burl wood and some walnut wood keep the adhesion very well.

It would take you about an hour to complete this method of CA gluing per pen, time consuming yes! But the result can be stunning, if done slowly.

I have always tried out CA on different woods. Perhaps you could do the same and experience the ease and difficulty of CA gluing on different woods. It would give you an insight to the different grain and sanding aspects on wood. Remember, wood will darken more often, if you use sanding sealer before CA gluing. The nature of the wood.

Eg, sanding x cut compared with lateral cut woods, different sanding paper grades and speed of lathe. I, personally would not use abranet, they can create more deep sanding lines within the wood surface, use ordinary sanding paper, LIGHTLY.

One more safety objective, please use ample ventilation in your workspace when using CA glue. The vapours are not nice, most face masks are not safe to use. Take care!

Kelvin

Attachments

• The Mistral fountain pen with beautiful Thuyr Burl wood and Black Titanium fittings close up 8...jpg
    The Mistral fountain pen with beautiful Thuyr Burl wood and Black Titanium fittings close up 8...jpg
    213 KB · Views: 8

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Hello Steve.
What you are using is not a finish for a pen as any shine that you get will disappear as you handle it.
Some folk use CA glue as they get a very shiny finish. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing how to apply it.
A lot of us here use Melamine Lacquer, which will give a more durable finish than friction polish.
Here's a link to the process.
Thank you. Printing now :)

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Steve,
I have been using CA glue for my high end finishing for years. I found that if you finish your pen with a glossy surface first, then burnish after, then clean down with meths on the surface and again burnish, your surface is correct for gluing.

I have in the pass used sanding sealer first and then polished, just using a cloth. Then applied five coats of CA glue and lightly wet sand with 12000 grit, after the five coats. Cleaned again and applied another five coats of CA glue.

Finally, going through all the polishing grits, up to 12000. Polish with a fine polish compound to a deep gloss shine.

If you use an accelerator, it will find and release gas under the surface of the coating, this will result in small white “spots” under your CA glue. I have found that your surface is cleaner if you don’t use an accelerator.

Also, the wood itself can be a problem. Some very hard woods, don’t keep the glue on very well, even if sealing is not used. I found that oak, some mahogany, Thuyr burl wood and some walnut wood keep the adhesion very well.

It would take you about an hour to complete this method of CA gluing per pen, time consuming yes! But the result can be stunning, if done slowly.

I have always tried out CA on different woods. Perhaps you could do the same and experience the ease and difficulty of CA gluing on different woods. It would give you an insight to the different grain and sanding aspects on wood. Remember, wood will darken more often, if you use sanding sealer before CA gluing. The nature of the wood.

Eg, sanding x cut compared with lateral cut woods, different sanding paper grades and speed of lathe. I, personally would not use abranet, they can create more deep sanding lines within the wood surface, use ordinary sanding paper, LIGHTLY.

One more safety objective, please use ample ventilation in your workspace when using CA glue. The vapours are not nice, most face masks are not safe to use. Take care!

Kelvin
What a wonderful reply. Thanks Kelvin

SP1646

First Name
Steve
I sand to about 400 grit, apply 4 or 5 coats of medium viscosity CA glue with a smooth cloth, while the lathe is on a low speed, and use accelerater spray to speed curing after each coat. Then use abrasive pads, lengthwise at first to get rid of circumferential ridges, and then all the way down to 2000 grit or finer. The ca finish is very glossy and protective against sweat etc.
Thank you..

SP1646

First Name
Steve

Why, Thank you kind Sir. I guess that it is nice to see that everyone has their own way of doing it. That's the beauty of the craft..

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Along the lines of what @Gadget-UK said about wood not looking glossy - I use the melamine finish (as per Phil’s instructions which are excellent) but I knock it back a little to give a slightly more satin finish.
Cheers
Ash
That's a very interesting take on the issue. Thank you

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Also bear in mind Steve that CA glue gives off fumes that can be very unpleasant. I never use it as within minutes my eyes are watering and I have to walk away.

Nicholas Andrews

First Name
Nicholas
Hi everyone, any help appreciated..

I've attached some pics of the pens that I have made I've the last couple of months. To finish, I use a couple of coats of cellulose sanding sealer, rubbed back with 800 or 1000 grit abranet, before applying either friction polish or a wax of some kind, but my pens have a matt finish. What do others do to get the deep gloss that I see on other posts?

Nicholas Andrews

First Name
Nicholas
Having read numerous advice on pen finishing , I’m convinced of two things. First, what type of durability is required. Secondly, unless one wants to have a regular maintenance issue or scratched finish, several costs of Melamine is by far the best. I recall Phil at Beaufort recommends this too. I recently made a coffee table of a large ( 4inch thick) slab of bark sided spalted beech with some lovely red hairpin legs from The Hairpin Leg Company and applied 5 coats of Melamine lacquer suitably rubbed down in between. The finish is incredibly durable and can be matt , satin or gloss. I wont be using anything else on my wood pens from hereon.