• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How to get a glossy finish on wooden pens?

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Having read numerous advice on pen finishing , I’m convinced of two things. First, what type of durability is required. Secondly, unless one wants to have a regular maintenance issue or scratched finish, several costs of Melamine is by far the best. I recall Phil at Beaufort recommends this too. I recently made a coffee table of a large ( 4inch thick) slab of bark sided spalted beech with some lovely red hairpin legs from The Hairpin Leg Company and applied 5 coats of Melamine lacquer suitably rubbed down in between. The finish is incredibly durable and can be matt , satin or gloss. I wont be using anything else on my wood pens from hereon.
Thanks Nicholas, I have bought some today, will also give it a try.

ApacheZ1

First Name
Michael
Hi everyone, any help appreciated..

I've attached some pics of the pens that I have made I've the last couple of months. To finish, I use a couple of coats of cellulose sanding sealer, rubbed back with 800 or 1000 grit abranet, before applying either friction polish or a wax of some kind, but my pens have a matt finish. What do others do to get the deep gloss that I see on other posts?

ApacheZ1

First Name
Michael
Hi Steve,
I may advise wire wool after you end cutting.
Now start with 1500 wet n dry and go through to 12000.
Seal it then use wax and every time you get the old furniture polish out give some to your pens.
Works for me.
Cheers and welcome to the mad house.