• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How to get a glossy finish on wooden pens?

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Having read numerous advice on pen finishing , I’m convinced of two things. First, what type of durability is required. Secondly, unless one wants to have a regular maintenance issue or scratched finish, several costs of Melamine is by far the best. I recall Phil at Beaufort recommends this too. I recently made a coffee table of a large ( 4inch thick) slab of bark sided spalted beech with some lovely red hairpin legs from The Hairpin Leg Company and applied 5 coats of Melamine lacquer suitably rubbed down in between. The finish is incredibly durable and can be matt , satin or gloss. I wont be using anything else on my wood pens from hereon.
Thanks Nicholas, I have bought some today, will also give it a try.

ApacheZ1

First Name
Michael
Hi everyone, any help appreciated..

I've attached some pics of the pens that I have made I've the last couple of months. To finish, I use a couple of coats of cellulose sanding sealer, rubbed back with 800 or 1000 grit abranet, before applying either friction polish or a wax of some kind, but my pens have a matt finish. What do others do to get the deep gloss that I see on other posts?

ApacheZ1

First Name
Michael
Hi Steve,
I may advise wire wool after you end cutting.
Now start with 1500 wet n dry and go through to 12000.
Seal it then use wax and every time you get the old furniture polish out give some to your pens.
Works for me.
Cheers and welcome to the mad house.

TheOldMan

Apprentice Member
First Name
Alan
Hi everyone, any help appreciated..

I've attached some pics of the pens that I have made I've the last couple of months. To finish, I use a couple of coats of cellulose sanding sealer, rubbed back with 800 or 1000 grit abranet, before applying either friction polish or a wax of some kind, but my pens have a matt finish. What do others do to get the deep gloss that I see on other posts?
Hi I watched a video from the UK and he did a similar finish. Then I read someone used hand sanitizer and then picked up a pen. The shine was gone almost immediately. The pen will look fine as long as no one actually uses it. Have a great day.

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Hi Steve,
I may advise wire wool after you end cutting.
Now start with 1500 wet n dry and go through to 12000.
Seal it then use wax and every time you get the old furniture polish out give some to your pens.
Works for me.
Cheers and welcome to the mad house.
Thank you. Sorry for the tardy replies, but have been doing the day job...

SP1646

First Name
Steve
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions... Here is my latest attempt, following the instructions on these pages.... Blank is20240925_203722.jpg Ash and charcoal veneer and finished with melamine

Mohan

Apprentice Member
First Name
Garimella
Just to throw a complete spanner in the works :whistling:

WHY have a gloss finish on wood?
Wood is NOT glossy, I have never and will never coat a wooden blank in anything that gives it a glossy look, I much prefer the natural wood feel and look and with all of the pens I has made (wooden) I have never once had an issue with a "Natural Wood" pen and my customers have loved them.
The look, the feel - your holding a piece of wood NOT a piece of plastic :rolling:

As a matter of fact I use a wooden pen I made 5 years ago daily and yes the wood colour has changed slightly BUT its still a wood pen, I love writing with it and it looks great :ave_it:

Oh and Steve, your pens look great as they are, I would be VERY happy to have made those :claps: :thumbs:
I personally don’t like glossy finish for wood . I luv to feel the wood and its minor undulations . I haven’t made many pens but I insist on my idea and only then sell . Else no wood pens .

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
I have used Melamine before and to be honest I was not totally happy with the results, and I would be the first to admit it's probably down to my technique, even though I followed the well published (on here) instructions.

Then just for the hell of it I gave the spray version a go, and all I can say is WOW, I now have my new favourite gloss finish.

If all else fails give the spray version a go.

SP1646

First Name
Steve
I personally don’t like glossy finish for wood . I luv to feel the wood and its minor undulations . I haven’t made many pens but I insist on my idea and only then sell . Else no wood pens .
Actually, I agree with you a better word than Gloss would have been Lustre... Mine always looked matt in comparison to others. But progress is being made :love_it: