• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I am still in the workshop

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
If I thought I was back on track with my last post, it has only taken me since then to drill and tap 6 small holes. This was due to me going down with a severe chest infection and not fit to play with machines.
Hopefully (touch wood) I am now back on track.
Fly wheel drilled and tapped
Fly wheel drilled and tapped 1
So nearly finished the flywheels, just need to put a taper in the centre hole which will become clearer in the operation after that

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Back on the farm boy after a short break as I have been doing a write-up for the Model Engineers Workshop magazine and yet more work in the garden.

The flywheels needed a taper putting in the crankshaft hole and also a tapered fixing made to match. Going by the plans, the opening in the flywheel just cut into the three screw holes, which surprised me.

I mounted the flywheels on the faceplate and dialled them in before setting the angle and turning these. Both flywheels were done before turning the matching locking fixings. This meant that the cross slide was already set and both tapers matched.
Still need to drill the fixing holes and also two threaded holes to use if they need extracting from the flywheel in the future as well as a slot.

Flywheel inserts (3).JPG

Flywheel inserts (2).JPG

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Managed to get the Fly wheel locking collars completed and could not resist a part dry fit with they in place.

Fly wheel part assembly (1) Fly wheel part assembly (3)

Fly wheel part assembly (4)

Fly wheel part assembly (5)

I have been putting off cutting a test tube to complete the oiler for the engine. So I tried to use a glass tube cutter which failed, and it shattered, so a good clean up and vacuum got rid of the broken bits. Next I wrapped the tube in some masking tape (I have about ten tubes as that was the minimum I could get at the time) this was gently gripped in the lathe yet strong enough not to slip, a Dremel was used with a small diamond disk and a short section soon parted ways from the tube. This section was rubbed on some very fine wet and dry paper to get rid of any sharp edges (With the tablets I am on if a cut myself it takes forever to stop)

As most of the parts were already made from brass, the only other part was the control needle, which is from silver steel (tool steel depends on where you are in the world). This needed a point on one end and then cut to length and fixed into the top adjustment piece.

The complete oiler ready for the engine once completed as there are still bits that need making. Without measuring it I would say between 1 1/4ā€³ to 1 1/2ā€³ tall.

complete oiler (5)

complete oiler (4)

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
Derek, your eye for detail and precision is outstanding, I am not going to lie when I say I am in total awe at you skill & patience.
This is like a film that has been split into many parts and have to wait to get to the conclusion..... :claps: :thumbs: