• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Made in Wensleydale (but not from cheese!)

Jim

Grand Master
Hi Peter: Thanks for sharing the video, which is clear and easy to follow. Just a couple of questions: when you have finished applying the CA and you are ready to buff the tubes to a high gloss finish, what method do you use? Does the application of the CA affect the smoothness of the finish and need sanding smooth with fine grit and micromesh? What do you recommend to buff the CA to a shiny finish? Do you apply a finishing coat of Hut wax or something similar or does the CA finish not need this type of protection?

Bob, once you have applied the CA, use these Micro-Mesh Pads then a coat of the HUT plastic polish, i use Meguiars Scratch X20 bought from Halfords which is a much cheaper version that does the exact same job .. No other applications are needed ..

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Thanks, guys, for the great advice. I have just turned an ash slimline ballpoint and a bocote slimline gelwriter with a view to trying out the method recommended in the video Peter (Buckeye) posted. I am too tired to attempt it tonight, but will have a go tomorrow and report back my results. I have a set of micromesh pads that I use on all my pens, but I will need to try to acquire some Silvo (not as easy as you might think when you live in the High Pennines!)

I will try Buckeye's method first and experiment with the products recommended by Jim and Steven after I manage to visit Halford's (the nearest branch is an hour's drive away.)

Penpal: I take your point about providing a bit more detail about my set-up and some photos. I will do that shortly, but I intend to try out Buckeye's CA method first.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bob, if you follow the video and get yourself a goodly few coats of ca on the blank, you will watch the shine build as you go through the grades of mm.
Once you get to the 12,000 it should shine plenty good enuff not to need any further abrasion.
Maybe just a bit of polish to keep the fingerprints to a minimum some recommend microcrystalline, personally I wouldn't waste my money on it when any polish does the same job.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks, guys, for the great advice. I have just turned an ash slimline ballpoint and a bocote slimline gelwriter with a view to trying out the method recommended in the video Peter (Buckeye) posted. I am too tired to attempt it tonight, but will have a go tomorrow and report back my results. I have a set of micromesh pads that I use on all my pens, but I will need to try to acquire some Silvo (not as easy as you might think when you live in the High Pennines!)

I will try Buckeye's method first and experiment with the products recommended by Jim and Steven after I manage to visit Halford's (the nearest branch is an hour's drive away.)

Penpal: I take your point about providing a bit more detail about my set-up and some photos. I will do that shortly, but I intend to try out Buckeye's CA method first.

Bob, please note that it isn't my method although I do use that method. You don't need Silvo, you could use Brasso, Poundland scratch compound, what you are after is something with smaller equivalent grit size than the finest micromesh, but don't pay throught the nose for a miracle polish.

When I put the CA on the pen I have the lathe running at 1500revs when I put the Silvo on I have it running at 700, too fast and you can melt the CA.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great looking pens there Bob. :thumbs:

Personal preferences aside about the american pencil, they all look good and an excellent job of them all.

Sounds like you have a few ideas on finish going forward, good luck and look forward to your next thread on the finished pens.

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I thought I should update this thread with regard to my progress with using a CA finish. I turned a slimline pen from ash and followed the instructions posted by David from Timberbits in his YouTube video about applying 20 coats of thin CA. I found it difficult to apply the CA evenly and had to sand it down and start again. My second attempt was a bit better, but I can still feel some ripples in the finish. I expect that my technique will improve with practice. The finish has a strong shine to it, especially after adding a final coat of Silvo, so I think it is worth my while persevering until I master the technique.

I had a minor operation on my eyelids and tearducts today, so I look as though I have just been in the ring with Amir Khan. :boxer: :panda:
The surgeon warned against using the lathe until at least Monday, so the bocote gel-writer pen that is on the lathe waiting for the CA treatment will have to wait a few days. :chargrined:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I thought I should update this thread with regard to my progress with using a CA finish. I turned a slimline pen from ash and followed the instructions posted by David from Timberbits in his YouTube video about applying 20 coats of thin CA. I found it difficult to apply the CA evenly and had to sand it down and start again. My second attempt was a bit better, but I can still feel some ripples in the finish. I expect that my technique will improve with practice. The finish has a strong shine to it, especially after adding a final coat of Silvo, so I think it is worth my while persevering until I master the technique.

I had a minor operation on my eyelids and tearducts today, so I look as though I have just been in the ring with Amir Khan. :boxer: :panda:
The surgeon warned against using the lathe until at least Monday, so the bocote gel-writer pen that is on the lathe waiting for the CA treatment will have to wait a few days. :chargrined:

It's well worth perservering with the CA, once you have got it right you will have a deep gloss that's like glass, even just practicing on a piece of wood similar to a pen blank will help. Sorry to hear about your eyelids, keep the CA well away from them.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).