• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Oak

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I stabilized a piece of Oak with red coloured juice. It was interesting but yours is one hell of a lot nicer. Is your pen red or white Oak? It looks like red Oak.

Terry,

We are very fortunate, it is neither! The oak of Britain is quercus robur, whereas yours are Quercia alba (white oak) or Quercia rubra (red). White oak is a lot more brittle than european oak and is not as interesting. European oak is frequently known by the country in which it is grown as regional differences can influence the wood, for instance the beefsteak fungus in English oak can affect an open wound from a fallen branch and can cause what is known as brown oak, or tiger oak which is the stripy effect as the tree turns finally to brown oak. It is a beautiful colour. The wood is our national wood as it was used fairly extensively when we had to build fleets of ships to repel the French heathens and pummel the Spanish hoardes in and around 1588! Hence the title of the March of the Royal Navy, Hearts of Oak.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Terry,

We are very fortunate, it is neither! The oak of Britain is quercus robur, whereas yours are Quercia alba (white oak) or Quercia rubra (red). White oak is a lot more brittle than european oak and is not as interesting. European oak is frequently known by the country in which it is grown as regional differences can influence the wood, for instance the beefsteak fungus in English oak can affect an open wound from a fallen branch and can cause what is known as brown oak, or tiger oak which is the stripy effect as the tree turns finally to brown oak. It is a beautiful colour. The wood is our national wood as it was used fairly extensively when we had to build fleets of ships to repel the French heathens and pummel the Spanish hoardes in and around 1588! Hence the title of the March of the Royal Navy, Hearts of Oak.

Thanks for that Neil, I wouldn't have know what it was in comparison to brown or white oak so I've learned something too. :thumbs:

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Thanks Neil. White Oak is very strong and was used here for ship building. I white Oak is closed grain and will not wick water like Red Oak. Both can have amazing quarter sawn grain pattern but I favor White Oak.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).