• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Seeing the barrel and glue through the acrylic

btaylor13

First Name
Brian
I have just finished a slimline acrylic pen - pink for my partner but can see the barrel through the acrylic. Are there any fixes for this for future pens? Can I buy barrels in different colours?

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I too have suffered this and the only cure seems to be to preprint either the barrels , the inside of the drilled hole , or both.
I have concerns about rubbing the paint off if the fit is a bit tight but am assured this is less of an issue than I imagine it to be.
Meanwhile the white blanks are going to be turned back and i’ll reuse the tubes

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
When using translucent blanks I always paint the inside of the hole.... Cotton buds work very well and acrylic paint.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
We all started in the same place!!
Don't be afraid of mistakes!!
Pm me an address and I'll send you some acrylic blanks to play with

dixter

Apprentice Member
First Name
Richard
Hello from Everett, Washington USA.

I do not use CA glue for securing the brass tube to the blank, I have used 5-minute 2-part epoxy only, as I have a better success rate, especially with colored tubes. I have made close to 500 pens in the last 5 years and use epoxy 99% of the time, using CA to secure the blank to the tube on laser-cut inlaid blanks.

If you need a black colored tube, I have successfully used Birchwood Casey's BRASS BLACK. It is a liquid that, when applied with a cotton swab, turns the brass tube black by chemical reaction. It is used by gunsmiths and other tradespeople. They also have a product, ALUMINUM BLACK, that has the same effect on aluminum, and I have used it with good results on other craft projects over the years.

For other colors, I use enamel model paint or acrylic paint. On painted tubes, I have colored both the outside of the tube and the inside of the drilled hole with epoxy only with good results.

I do not know if these products are readily available outside of the US, but I purchased these supplies from Amazon,

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
The colour of paint has an effect on how your pen will look when done. Most use either white or black but colours the same or complementary to the blank can look good too. If you polish the end of the blank and then cut off a thin slice you can take it and place it on any colour you think you might like to try. Then you can pick the paint that looks best. You can also paint a dowel with a number of colours and slide it through the hole in the blank to get an indication of what the finished pen will look like.

Pete

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
The dowel isn't my idea by a long shot, I did the buff and slice method. If the hole is small and the blank thick you won't necessarily get a true representation. It helps though.

Pete

Adding that with the slices you can put them on spray can lids, paint samples from the paint store, stuff around the house and so on.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hello from Everett, Washington USA.

I do not use CA glue for securing the brass tube to the blank, I have used 5-minute 2-part epoxy only, as I have a better success rate, especially with colored tubes. I have made close to 500 pens in the last 5 years and use epoxy 99% of the time, using CA to secure the blank to the tube on laser-cut inlaid blanks.

If you need a black colored tube, I have successfully used Birchwood Casey's BRASS BLACK. It is a liquid that, when applied with a cotton swab, turns the brass tube black by chemical reaction. It is used by gunsmiths and other tradespeople. They also have a product, ALUMINUM BLACK, that has the same effect on aluminum, and I have used it with good results on other craft projects over the years.

For other colors, I use enamel model paint or acrylic paint. On painted tubes, I have colored both the outside of the tube and the inside of the drilled hole with epoxy only with good results.

I do not know if these products are readily available outside of the US, but I purchased these supplies from Amazon,
Richard, interesting, never heard of either of these products but then again never been looking for them. Sounds as if the brass black chemically etches the tube? Is the process suitable for using as a primer to take a car acrylic spray which I find good but susceptible to scratching off when you insert the tube?

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Why paint the tubes or colour them, if the blank is translucent then you will see the glue lines, no matter what glue you use.
Acrylic spray paint down the drilled hole to match the colour of the blank. Job done

dixter

Apprentice Member
First Name
Richard
Richard, interesting, never heard of either of these products but then again never been looking for them. Sounds as if the brass black chemically etches the tube? Is the process suitable for using as a primer to take a car acrylic spray which I find good but susceptible to scratching off when you insert the tube?

Yes, the chemical etches the brass tube and is a lot more durable. The etched brass doesn't seem to scratch off as much as the paint does when inserting the tube in the blank.