• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Shakespeare fountain pen in brown oak

Sawes

Registered
First Name
Scott
All bushes are a sliding fit, but that doesn't mean they are not a loose or tight fit, I have 3 sets of bushes for the alpha and they are loose to the extent of being useless. I wondered if the bushes for this new pen would be as good a fit as the bushes for the Mistral and the Tempest, I suppose time will tell.

Peter
Strange about the Alpha bushes you have as I find the 3 sets I have (1 used 2 new) all a good fit. Hadn't noticed any difference to the fit on the Mistral.
Only time I had issues with bushes really is the Rizheng kits now and then

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Okay, so you were talking engineering with your sliding fit, wouldn't a locational clearance be better with less sloppiness or does it not make much difference?

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Strange about the Alpha bushes you have as I find the 3 sets I have (1 used 2 new) all a good fit. Hadn't noticed any difference to the fit on the Mistral.

Nothing strange about the bushes there were problems with them you can see from Dan's thread about it. http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-pens/13701-bushings-bain-my-life.html?highlight=bushes+alpha

Peter

First Name
Dan

Peter must be referring to the very first ones that were made of steel. The bushes for the Alpha in the last 12 months plus we have never had any issues.
Why do you think i chose to work with Alex for BMPK. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter must be referring to the very first ones that were made of steel. The bushes for the Alpha in the last 12 months plus we have never had any issues.
Why do you think i chose to work with Alex for BMPK. ;)

I bought the alphas when they came out and haven't had anything from you since apart from 3 sets of bushes which are no good, I can turn them between centres, but haven't bothered to do them so far.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks Alex I understand a sliding fit in practice is one helpful message I looked up and printed the ISO Specs in detail seems great to me. Good to see you posting mate. I just made some on my metal lathe, I always cut the shoulders back on spacers to allow true finishing on the lathe by caliper as well.

Peter.

Sawes

Registered
First Name
Scott
I bought the alphas when they came out and haven't had anything from you since apart from 3 sets of bushes which are no good, I can turn them between centres, but haven't bothered to do them so far.

Peter
Kind of sensing a little hostility to the Alpha you not even made yet.
I could head over and read an article I suppose but as stated my bushes fit as well as the Mistral you compared to. Got lucky I guess or just missed an early issue on release.

Sawes

Registered
First Name
Scott
Anyway back to the point.

Great looking pen Alex have already pre ordered a couple of the FP think I forgot bushes but not starting another bush discussion lol.
Can't wait to get hold of them and do something a little different to most I guess.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Anyway back to the point.

Great looking pen Alex have already pre ordered a couple of the FP think I forgot bushes but not starting another bush discussion lol.
Can't wait to get hold of them and do something a little different to most I guess.

I like the way you say think :rolling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Kind of sensing a little hostility to the Alpha you not even made yet.
I could head over and read an article I suppose but as stated my bushes fit as well as the Mistral you compared to. Got lucky I guess or just missed an early issue on release.

Your sensing is way off, but nothing new, the alpha is a great kit, it's just the bushes I have that are useless, not the kit. I have made an alpha, Dan sent me one before they were on sale, I turned it tbc. http://www.penturners.co.uk/wood-turned-items/11897-my-1st-pen-almost-6-months.html

Dan has been kind enough to offer to take back the kits I have and replace with the upgrades and new bushes. If I come across them anytime soon I may take him up on it, thank you Dan.

Peter

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
This looks a great kit. I do wonder whether some of the problems we have with bushes is really down to variations in the tolerance of the rods in the mandrels. I have three mandrels all supposedly the same size but the rods are not. When I use a micrometer on them I can see the difference. I got a bit fed up with this and gave up on two of the mandrels figuring it was better to try a fettle the bushes to fit one rather than three. The Alpha bushes I have were very tight and needed a bit of fettling with wet and dry but once I had done that there we fine. Haven't tried any new ones. I seem to remember trying a couple of sets of other bushes and fettling them until I got them right. Delta I gave up on, modified the bushes and went between centres. Actually I prefer the mandrels so I will have to get some more at some point and give them a go again.
I must order some of these British made ones to see how they go. I think the fountain looks really nice. The roller is nice but I always found the long narrow front end makes the pen seen less attractive, not just on this kit but most of them. Doesn't seem to harm sales mind.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Excellent looking pen Alex, with a ice piece of Oak to boot as well.

I won't say anything about the bushes as it's more about the pen.

Anyway, surely a great prospect to have a British pen kit manufacturer on the market.

But how can we (the person using it as a selling point) prove it's all British kit? That's my question! ::thinks:

First Name
Dan
Excellent looking pen Alex, with a ice piece of Oak to boot as well.

I won't say anything about the bushes as it's more about the pen.

Anyway, surely a great prospect to have a British pen kit manufacturer on the market.

But how can we (the person using it as a selling point) prove it's all British kit? That's my question! ::thinks:

We are in the process of registration with Supporting British Manufacturing with One Great Marque - Made in Britain, to get this stamp you have to produce evidence of the origin of the product.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
First Name
Dan
This is a forward step I still believe when I am told by honest people it was made in Britain, so much mistrust exists in articles from some other countries, so few products made in country.

Peter.

Thanks Peter, it's taken some time to get to this point. All credit to Alex as he has had to work with my primitive sketches.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).