• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vacuum chamber lid shattered!!!

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Just my twopennerth from my experience in the semi finished plastics industry where we were distributors of Lexan polycarbonates and ICI Perspex acrylics though it was 30 years ago.

* I have no idea what the thickness of acrylic should be but ICI would be able to tell you if given the correct information as well as if CJ will attack the material or not once they have the chemical ingredients listed. Acrylic is subjected to stress when drilled and it must be done very carefully indeed or crazing is almost certain to occur around the drilled edges, same when it's machined.

* Polycarbonate will flex and therefore would have to be a lot thicker than acrylic under the same conditions, it is also soft and scratches very easily which is also a problem because it it more prone to chemical attack and degradation and scratches just speed that up. It is also subject to similar stresses as acrylic. IMO if there's any doubt about CJ then poly is not a suitable product.
You can get coated and laminated polycarbonated ( Used in P.O vans, armoured cars etc ) but extortionate if you could get it at all. I have a sample 50mm thick as used in USA presidental car and still don't know what the actual composition is :rolling:
When used by the police it's there because it flexes and is sturdy enough to deflect people and missiles thrown but that's a very different job to that of a chamber lid.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Thanks Bob, Yeh I had a quick look into Lexan/Polycarbonate last night & came to the conclusion that it wasn't suitable & also looked more prone to chemical attack.
If the replacement 20mm & this 30mm acrylic lid that I have ordered fails, I probably try drilling & putting the fittings in the side of the aluminium vacuum chamber & get a acrylic lid with no holes drilled in:thinks:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
We used to relieve the stress of critical components by wiping with mek which slightly melts and smooths the surface although the method is a bit hazardous. It is also important that the hole is oversize and there be a soft gasket. My guess is that the problems are down to poor manufacturing methods or lack of supervision.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Along the way Paul you have had to weather many storms I remember Curtis establishing his product , then the means to infuse it had major and minor hiccups. His success came from hard knocks glad you are in touch with him. Early days he showed progress and completion of his own house. Out of this world results, he was building houses full time then.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
After quite a bit of research and all this business with holes in acrylic lids being a week point, plus the talk about Stabilising solutions atacking acrylic, I've decided to go down the same route as with the moulds & make my own stabilising chambers,
So watch this space :banana:

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Another tough clear plastic used for things like machine guards is PETG. I've been offered this in the past as it's cheaper than polycarbonate.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I will visit my mate near me he is in business for knife making handles etc a very upmarket use of timber by stabilising I will see what he uses currently. All of this lid stuff has peaked my interest.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
This one looks interesting. The top only looks about 1/2" thick.

Cactus Juice Vacuum Stabilizing Chambers : 6'' (15.24 cm) Diameter JuiceProof Vacuum Chambers (Various Lengths Available)

I wonder what the tube is made from, PVC maybe?

Mine will look very very similar to that!
Yes it's PVC, which he states is "Juice proof" so if it's good enough for Curtis, it should be good enough for me!
I hope so anyway as I've just spent £150 on a 2.5m length of it, and that's just the tube :sob:

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I've hopefully got enough tube to make 6 of these 4" vacuum chambers but I only need 2 or maybe 3 myself, so I have the potential of making another 3, if anyone is interested in them I recon they'll be around £150 each by time I buy all the rest of the parts, then all the machining & assembly of the various parts, they will be very similar in style & quality to the one that William has linked to above, but mine is the 4" as 6" is massive & would need gallons of stabilising solution & the tube alone costs almost double that of 4".

If anyone is interested PM me

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I will visit my mate near me he is in business for knife making handles etc a very upmarket use of timber by stabilising I will see what he uses currently. All of this lid stuff has peaked my interest.

Peter.

Update he is away on holiday, schools out.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just heard from my mate he has the original 20 mm top 300 mm container done shiploads so far in the last 18mths wishes you well but no bad experiences.

Kind regards Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
Snippet from a conversation I had with Curtis last night, as predicted the person I spoke to at HVAC Store tried blaming the CJ, i've emailed them this snippet from Curtis & waiting to here from someone higher up.
View attachment 31585

The only issue i see after using CJ for a while is very small web like cracks in the Acrylic, this has to be CJ as i haven't used anything else in the chamber .. The one i use for resins is still very clear ..

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Still a way to go, as I have only one lid at the moment & having to use nuts & bolts as weights, because my CNC Machine is now out of commission until I have the parts to replace the cables on that! if it's not one thing breaking down with me it's another :-(
But at least I can get back to some stabilising, albeit with a bit of a Heath Robinson vacuum chamber at the moment:banana:

IMG_5087.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).