• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Walter Hall RIP

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi All
It's with a really sad heart I have to announce the passing of Walter this morning. He was an inspiration to many ( me included) with his pen turning and further with his book and various magazine articles. He will be sadly missed

Last edited by a moderator:

Gadget-UK

Fellow
First Name
Colin
WHAT.....
Walter gave me so much help when I first joined.
Nothing was ever to much trouble for him and his explanations and advice helped me no end.
Feel like I have lost two of my greatest mentors with Woody & Walter leaving us.
RIP Walter and my heartfelt condolences to his Family and Friends, such a sad loss

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Walter and I were good friends for a long time and this very sad news has hit hard. Walter was a gent, he spoke his mind and was a great asset to the woodturning community. He will be sorely missed. My condolences to his family.
Rest in peace my friend.❤️

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Very sad.

He gave me a lot of inspiration and knowledge when I first started on a lathe.

Mike

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Walter will be greatly missed in the pen turning community, where he was influential and highly respected. His book was a great inspiration to many, myself included, as was the man himself. He was generous with his help, skilled at his craft, and at times, robust with his opinions. He was a moderator on this Forum, and on the GMC's woodturning forum, and his passing will be a sad loss to a great many people.

I'm sure I'm not speaking out of turn when I say that the thoughts and condolences of everyone here go to his wife Edith and his wider family. He will be hugely missed.

RIP Walter Hall

306043377_5458230507545972_1662979386307402916_n.jpg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
I never met Walter but he once commented on a pen I made which is when I became aware of him, his work and his standing in the pen making and wood turning community. He struck me as a good man who was spoken about in high regard, just as you have done here Phil.

Sad news and my condolences to his loved ones.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
That’s very sad news. When this forum was first started by Jim about 15 years ago we used to meet annually at a school in York that Neil was teaching at. Walter gave us demonstrations and helped everyone of us on our journey in pen making. He will be sadly missed.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Very sad news.
I met Walter a few times and would often give him a bell to ask his opinion, which he always gave freely with a touch of his dry humour.

He was a source of great inspiration to me and will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I met Walter a few times and corresponded with him a lot. A true gentleman and great pen turner who would help anyone on this subject. He will be sorely missed by us fellow turners. RIP Walter.
Hello Terry old friend long time no speak. How are you keeping mate?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Always a great loss to the turning world when one of them departs this world. Like many I knew Walter through the forum, he will be greatly missed.

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
This is so sad, Walter and I joined the GMC woodworking forum at the same time and became good long distance friends, he made a pen for me out of Azobe that I had sent him and he also sent me a free copy of his book fresh off the pres. We also were very active in the international pen swaps that were run on that forum.

RIP Walter