• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

windoze 11 photo storage

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I just bought a new computer UNFORTUNALLY it has this horrible ghastly windoze 11 on it. :vangry:
I just downloaded all the photos on my iPhone, now I cannot find any way put them into a folder on my computer.
It keeps wanting me to put it into could or one drive or summat.

Can any one help me?

If anyone meets bill gates give him the hardest kick in his bollocks and see if you can knock some sense into him.

monophoto

First Name
Louie
Microsoft forced me to convert to W11 a couple of months ago, but I found that the transition was seamless.

There is a native 'pictures' folder, but I'm a bit old fashioned and like to create my own file structure. So I have a 'Pictures' folder in the Documents folder. That way, I can set up a backup for the Documents folder that covers my pictures as well as other important stuff.

How did you download your pictures from your iPhone, and where are they stored? You should be able to just 'drag and drop' them where you want. W11 does have a OneDrive arrangement that is automatically backed up to the Cloud, but I try to use my "Documents' folder and my primary storage location, with OneDrive set up to automatically synchronize a backup copy of everything in the Documents folder. I also have an external hard drive that provides an additional layer of backup.

One thing that is different in W11 is that when you right click on a folder or file to copy it, the popup menu doesn't appear to offer a 'copy' option. It's there - just hidden. There is a row of icons that will appear at either the top or bottom of the popup window (depending on where on the screen you right clicked). The second icon from the left is 'copy' when you first invoke the right click, or 'paste' the second time you right click. Alternatively, the last entry in the menu is 'show more options' - clicking that produces the traditional windows right click menu that includes both copy and past options.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 472 (01).jpg
    ScreenHunter 472 (01).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
I just bought a new computer UNFORTUNALLY it has this horrible ghastly windoze 11 on it. :vangry:
I just downloaded all the photos on my iPhone, now I cannot find any way put them into a folder on my computer.
It keeps wanting me to put it into could or one drive or summat.

Can any one help me?

If anyone meets bill gates give him the hardest kick in his bollocks and see if you can knock some sense into him.
Hi again Mark,

Attach the phone to the computer using your usb charging cable, then go to file explorer and look for the phone as an extra drive under the C: drive, open the phone and navigate to the DCIM folder, (that's where all the photos are) then copy the photos that you want to transfer and then go to the folder on your main computer and paste them where you want. Send me an email if you still don't understand.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Just shows how old fashioned I am. I didn't download the free version of Windows 10. And now as I do take a lot of photos for another hobby I now can't get upgrades for my photoshop account......

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
you can still get windows 10 but Microsoft will stop supporting it this year
Pierre,
I agree that you still can get windows 10, but again how much will you have to pay them. And as you say will stop supporting so are they going to give a free copy of windows 11.
Don't think that they will.....

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
Pierre,
I agree that you still can get windows 10, but again how much will you have to pay them. And as you say will stop supporting so are they going to give a free copy of windows 11.
Don't think that they will.....
Sorry Tom I wrote that in a hurry last night, so didn't fully explain the problem; essentially because Microsoft have decided to stop all updates of windows 10 for individual users this year (Business accounts get another year I think), and you didn't take up the free offer I have assumed that you have a very old computer, since any new one sold prior to (I think) 2016 would have had windows 10 or 11 installed. However, any old computer such as that cannot run windows 11 because its motherboard BIOS and chip wont be configured to allow it . So the only solution is a new computer with windows 11 (preferably with windows 11 pro not family installed) or just run with what you are happy with. Essentially, any system older than windows 11 won't be getting security updates, and as you have found out 3rd party applications such as Photoshop upgrade themselves to follow the current operating systems. Most of their reasoning is how the new systems display their graphics and how well they can compress their data so as not to slow systems down: not to mention the need to be able to ensure both security and compliance with GDPR laws. This latter has now caused Microsoft to create a European version of windows and a US version because the EU has forced Microsoft to offer competitors equal opportunities on their platform whereas the US doesn't care so much.

Hope that clarifies things a bit but unfortunately it doesn't solve your photoshop problem and yes sadly there is a cost involved especially in your case where you are using a graphics intense product.