• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Emcostar / Emco Rex

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Some of you may know I enjoy restoring old machines.
I am now the proud owner of an old Emcostar multi machine, in fact not one but two of the beasties.

Intention is to restore one for myself to use which will enable a downsize of shed space, getting rid of 3 wood lathes, bandsaw, bench saw, table saw, chop saw, belt sander, bench grinder, thicknesser, and maybe some more stuff.
Keeping only the Emco, cnc, metal lathe, and scroll saw, smaller bench with only one vice less storage easier to keep clean and tidy init?

Yes I know all about the restrictions of capability, unreliability of age and difficulty in sourcing parts but for me it allows a working shed in a smaller home so has to be the way forward.

The machines I have are both in working order but have probably had umpteen different owners since their build in the 1970's and as such have suffered plunder of attachments which brings me to the point of this post.
Have you had one of these machines yourself in the past? Have you kept bits from it when you got rid?
Do you still have them? Are you willing to part with them for my usage of?

I have searched the interweb and found muchly documentation, mostly in foreign language but speaking Grumpish gets me by with that, certainly enuff to get me happily stripping down and working on them.

Any further info on sourcing parts / attachments would be gratefully received and for those who wonder what the hell I am ranting about look here Alles over Emcostar init?

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Yes I know all about the restrictions of capability, unreliability of age and difficulty in sourcing parts

I thought for a minute you were talking about yourself there Grump :thinks::funny:

Like David I look forward to the photos.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Now that seems to be a well busy pastime restoring those Brian and very interesting mate,wish you all the best in that!:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
As requested some pics init?

Here she is with the rex Planer thicknesser removed and bed bars taken out.
The planer thicknesser was in frequent use and in goodly nick apart from a blade hone and clean.
The bed bars are rusty and just need a goodly rub with some scratch, The UJ was a pig to remove but eventually revealed the spindle which has a M14 thread on it.

P1100037.jpg

A preliminary clean up and check all is now tightened up as it should be very little needing done in the saw bay, a new blade is in order and that will do to get it working goodly.

P1100036.jpg

The bandsaw / belt sander side with a first clean and bearing check once again very little to be done, new belt and and blade will be a happy result init?

P1100038.jpg

I have seen worse in recent machines, this is coming along nicely the two speed motor is now controlled by my homemade speed controller I have variable speed from 0 to 1500 revs and switch to variable from 1500 to 3000 revs.
I am looking for a tailstock and saw guard to get a start with switching it on.

P1100039.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
I can't help with the parts or owt Brian, but i can see you have a well made machine for sure ... :thumbs:

Please keep us in the loop with the restoration my friend .. :wink:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I remember those machines being a serious competitor for the Kity combis and being very solidly made Brian. This will be an interesting thread. Weren't they Swiss or Austrian?
It'll keep you out of mischief :ciggrin:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Ear yar in old money, I think I read it will take from 5 to 8 inch.

Attachments

• snapshot2.jpg
    snapshot2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 114

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Austrian Bob and very solidly built, it does have limitations but big enuff for what I have planned.
I have read some downers on it such as bandsaw blades breaking due to the small wheels but I am sure that can be overcome these days and sanding belts no longer obtainable but they can be made any size also.
I saw a pic of a barrow bench which I fancy might be a goodly way to go with it?

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 44

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That looks bloody useful for small to medium sized woodwork Brian, well worth a refurb, I look forward to seeing you progress.
:up:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
A very worthwhile project. I wish you all the best with it :up:
I wish I lived closer to you, this is a great project.
I see they were part of Unimat group and that chap with the website only set it up 2 years ago. There must be a bit of interest in them.:drool:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
i have the kity version heading my way

Steve

Is that the K5 Steve?
If so and you need any info or a pdf of the manual just let me know. I bought mine new late 80s and still have it and use it even though I have all the larger machines now. I used to stock them in my branch and I get at least a couple of requests for the info every month from all over the world.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Austrian Bob and very solidly built, it does have limitations but big enuff for what I have planned.
I have read some downers on it such as bandsaw blades breaking due to the small wheels but I am sure that can be overcome these days and sanding belts no longer obtainable but they can be made any size also.
I saw a pic of a barrow bench which I fancy might be a goodly way to go with it?

Exactly how I remember it, apart from the table which looks very useful. You're gonna have fun with that Brian. I don't think I have any bits that can help you though.
The thin blades from Tuffsaws might be worth a look. Hobby/Thin Gauge Bandsaw Blades. We used to make up Starret blades and the welds weren't good enough really fro little 3 wheel machines like the B&D 100 but they are a great deal better these days.

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
Is that the K5 Steve?
If so and you need any info or a pdf of the manual just let me know. I bought mine new late 80s and still have it and use it even though I have all the larger machines now. I used to stock them in my branch and I get at least a couple of requests for the info every month from all over the world.

sorry to jump on your thread Brian

Bob u sent me a pdf recently
the kit i have coming is:
10" planer\thicknesser
tablesaw
spindle moulder
mortiser
all on a stand with all accessories as far as i can tell

Steve

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
sorry to jump on your thread Brian

Bob u sent me a pdf recently
the kit i have coming is:
10" planer\thicknesser
tablesaw
spindle moulder
mortiser
all on a stand with all accessories as far as i can tell

Steve

Don't be sorry Steve it's goodly interesting chat init?
I like the kity machines but they are a bigger lump of metal and I don't wanna house that size of rig.
Neil had one I never saw him use it and often looked t it as viable thing and maybe if I had a garage with concrete floor then yes but in a timber shed exposed to the elements I think this would be more handleable.
I could be wrong and hate it but we'll see, if the worst comes to he worst I could flog it on again.