• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Emcostar / Emco Rex

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hey Brian, looking good, that'll keep the old grey matter busy trying to make parts.

have you got the instruction manual? If not there's a downloadable one here Emco star manual.pdf

Thanks Bob, yes I have all the literature available and more than enuf to understand the machine fully.
It's the attachments I want :sob::sob::sob:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It will work init?
Peter was asking about the second machine and gave me food for thought so I had a little play and a measure up and this will be the setup.
The planer thicknesser will be standalone but able to swap over to the other machine with either buffer grinder or sander on the other side of the shaft with the main machine being a lot lighter without that attached to it.
It does make a larger footprint but not by much and I would have to store it somewhere so why not make use of it?
Here it is just propped into position for the sake of a pic, I'll source some pallets and knock up some boxes on wheels to house both machines and that will do me goodly I think.

P1100078.jpg

And just so I can say I have done something to it today I made a thread changer for the spindle.
From M14 to ¾ 16 tpi so I can put stuff from my lathe on it and from my angle grinder init?

P1100079.jpg

Looks right tatty close up dunnit? But it is functional and takes a chuck fine.
That enuf for one day beer time nit?

P1100080.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The idea of two being used appeals to me a policy I have always followed however I have had a large workshop space to work with. I once boughta unit with seven attachments for use with a battery drill, found it the other day never used.

Peter.:fingers:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for the positives, that thread changer means it can also be a fully functional lathe using existing equipment, albeit a small one with only 4 inches from center to bed bars.
The planer needs to be mounted on bars which can be curt down and added to the other machine giving me extra longth on the lathe I haven't measured it yet but I reckon I can about 30 -32 inches out of it.

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
I have changed my guide bearings on my bandsaw today Brian I have the old ones if you can use them for owt your welcome to them I can post a photo if your intrested
shame to throw them out think they might come in handy for you

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Never look a gift horse in the mouth whatever that means.
Thanks for thinking of me, I am sure they will have a use at sometime, many thanks init?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bandsaw blades turned up today so time for a little play init?
The machines were just a pile of bits on the floor still awaiting a sort out, best get them assembled before I forget how.
Knocked up a makeshift base from a pallet floating around the garden and started to build one of em, I ain't worried about painting it, sod the cosmetics as long as it works as it should.
I was gonna go into one but not yet if ever.
Got one built up and stuck a circular saw blade in, bandsaw blade and some scratch on the disc sander, switched it on and smooth running son of a bitch it is, I love it init?

P1100098.jpg

Remember this? Another unfinished project pile of bits under the bench.
Never did assemble it after doing all the hard work on it, simply needs putting together but didn't have the room until Monday when I sold a load of tools and made some space in shed.
Well I took a look and economics come to play in the respect that project was intended to become a multi tool space saver but the Emco will do so much more than that ever would.
For what I would get to sell it and what I have been looking at buying tailstock wise it would make sense to adapt parts and sacrifice the lathe.

P1100094.jpg

More play tomorrow and see how it evolves.

P1100096.jpg

P1100093.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Not a bad looking bench you made there Brian.:thumbs:

Cheers Mark, literally a pallet cut in half, then the two halves cut in half.
Made a three sided box from it and screwed some castors to the blocks, screwed a piece of Oak kitchen worktop to it, and another piece of worktop on top again to bring the height up another 2 inches.
All done in ten minutes, could have done more but run out of pallet wood.
Total cost Zilch init?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Latest activity update, I have had a shuffle around and stripped down and rebuilt again, I know these machines so well now it takes minutes to have in bits with the right tools to hand.
Big time failure with the base and having it mobile, that is gonna have a complete overhaul, I could barely move the thing with the small castors on so changed them for bigger ones.
I need both machines to be mobile as depending on which tool is being used as to which side I want to work from plus dunno what length material gonna go through em init?
I went from this:

P1100098.jpg

To this:

P1100101.jpg

A big mistake, I thought to put all the weight over the wheels and blocks tuther end I could move it like a barra, soon as I lifted it it tilted and sliced me thumb on the planer blade as it went over.
Moved it all to the front of the top to spread the weight and now it is very unstable, next plan is to put the wheels n the outside for stability and make a stronger box.
I like the idea of a open cupboard below for storage so something along same lines I think, I put an appeal on FB for any old golf trolley wheels and a good pal came up trumps dropping these in today.
I don't asking no questions where they came from as I know where he works and I can see they are spanking new init?

P1100099.jpg

Top right of pic above you can see one machine already up on bench with saw sled on it, that works really well, very pleased with it but too high on that bench so need to build two mobile box benches (was original plan).
The other machine in pic is set up as planer thicknesser, I have tapered the shaft and fitted a Jacobs chuck to that which can add upto a 13mm arbour with a choice of tools init.
Need to build a guard and adjustable table at that end, this one is working a treat, I really happy with it, so I have both machines working Pukka, next to sort the housing of them.

I like the Emco for the footprint of it but getting the attachments for such an old machine is proving very difficult.
I am gathering a collection of machines that will take up more room than I have.

I am bidding on this at the moment hoping to get it at the price it is now, I only want the saw guard and mortice attachment which at £30 will be a bargain but it will probably be £100 at the end of auction and that is too much to pay for the bits I want.
I am gambling on the fact they are poor pictures, it's 110volt and rusty to win it

I was watching this, a complete set and licking my lips on the hope of getting it at a price I could afford but he took the auction off early.
I rang him to find out why and he said he had it advertised elsewhere and was offered £250 which he accepted, I could have matched that but not beaten it, was I gutted?
Had he left it on eBay I reckon it would have gone way above that to about £600.

While writing this I have won the auction at £65.00 so I am now the proud owner of a third Emcostar which will defo only be spares when I have robbed the bits I want from it.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
This is really taking shape Brian :thumbs: the new wheels should make a big difference, my planner is around 3/4 of a ton the first casters I had on it were hopeless as they were solid wheels I put rubber type casters on it & moving it has become relatively easy.

Keep up the good work :up: